Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Non-refundable pet deposit?

So we got the dog, but found out that I might be allergic to it. I spoke to the breeder way before and told her about my worries about the dog. She said if it doesn't work out in the future she'll take him back because she doesn't want to rehome him to another person. But I didnt agree to giving him back if it doesn't work out. 

Well anyway, fast forward to today, I think I might be allergic to his fur and it made my sister worry so we told her about it. She said she'll take him back but we're only getting the other $200 and not the $250 non refundable.

To be fair, I've paid for the dog already meaning its really under my ownership. So I can just demand a 450 because he really is my dog since he's been paid for, right?

No contract whatsoever. 

A non refundable deposit is NON REFUNDABLE.

Whether there is a contract or not is not necessarily the point.  If this ends up in front of a judge he is going to look at did you both behave as if you had an agreement.  A contractual agreement does not need to be in writing, although it’s always smart to avoid having someone like you jerk a person around.

If you both behave as if you have a contract, you paid her and she allowed you to take the dog, then you have an enforable contract, even if it isn’t a written one.

The breeder is out time and energy and that is what a non-refundable deposit is to compensate for.

If you are allergic to dog FUR you have more problems than you've listed here.  Dogs have HAIR, not FUR.

No, paying for something "already" does NOT mean it's really under your ownership.  You can demand whatever you want to demand.  You can try to resell the dog for the $450 you paid.  You can return the dog and take the $200.

You can realize you very foolish and childish you sound and how VERY unfair you were to this dog.  You can realize didn't have the common sense to enter into a contract.

All in all, I think you lose.

Why the F do we care? You handed over way too much money for a backyard breeder mutt. Up to them if they want to give you your money back.  If you took them to court you'd get NOTHING.

First of all, you made this problem, by not making sure you were not allergic to dogs. If you are older than 10 yrs old you should have had contact with dogs, and cats at sometime as a child and should already know if you are allergic.  But I learned you can become, allergic to a current pet you have had for a few yrs or more.  I would have gone to an animal shelter, and looked at a bunch of dogs and if I was allergic I would know.  However, you have the dog.  If you gave her full price and she will not give back the full price, turn around ab=nd sell the dog to someone else.  As I said, I think public breeding should be outlawed, because there are so many dogs who need a family.  and would not cost more than a few hundred and I got a dog for $85, and another for$60.  But you were willing to pay Almost $500, I am sure you can find another who is willing to do so.  

A pet deposit sounds inhumane. Just keep it

You have no right to demand anything and that behavior will not go over well with anyone.  You have the right to ask for it - ask only.

To put it plain & simple, you got scammed & screw by blood thirsty BYBER.  They do this all the time.  They are people who are breeding their pets & produce low quality pus cause they do not do any of the pre breeding genetic testing or use selective breeding practices.

Sorry this has happened to you.  You can take her to court.  Most Judges don't like the BYBers either.

• Ocimom

Non-refundable means you do not get your full money back.  Nothing to "demand".  Be thankful for getting $200 back.  In the future, get a contract from a reputable breeder.

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

Shelters DO NOT GIVE REFUNDS either.    The breeder isnt under any obligation to give ANY amount back.   She is being responsible enough to take the dog rather than the dog get dumped somewhere

• Maxi

Yes there is a contract, when you exchange money for 'goods', that forms a contract and you were very aware of this non refundable deposit  before you got the dog. The 'breeder' is not obligated to give you any money you paid back..... and "to be fair" you did not purchase a TV that doesn't work and wants a refund, you purchased a live animal that is perfectly 'fit for purpose'

This isnt walmart.  The breeder isnt obligated to return ANY of what you paid.   Thr dog isnt even WORTH the full amount that you paid anymore

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

The breeder also has to deal with feeding and vet care while she finds an appropriate home.   A new home isnt going to pay the full price for an older pup/adult dog.