AK Dayton asked in Society & CultureRoyalty ยท 1 month ago

Are you looking forward to reading The Queen's lettes regarding Gough Whittam?

she wrote letters to the Governor of Australia during the shameful dismissal of the Australia Government by the UK - now they are all going to become public

Update:

*letters

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I am really looking forward to reading these letters. This is the closest the Queen has ever been to involvement in party politics and it resulted in the overthrow of a legitimately elected government. It has been portrayed that the Queen stepped aside and let John Kerr do as he saw fit - I'd love to know whether that was really the case. Sadly Kerr and Fraser are both dead so they can't stand trial for treason.ย 

• No, not really, so a few ex convicts were upset...and?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. The Queen remains head of Australia. She has ultimate authority to sack whomever she wants. She did then, and she still does now. Charles will have the same authority when he is head of Australia after his mother.ย 

• 1 month ago

There was Nothing Shameful in removing Gough Whitlam

he never apologised when we Military servicemen never got paid but he did

he never had the Numbers to pass laws so he had to go and if it was wrong why did he never run again

the Queens letters will he hidden for 75 years

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I suspect it will say more about the state of Australian politics at the time than the monarch, but I am sure it will be of interest, if only as a lot of fuss over nothing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I couldn't care less even though this question is written by a troll.

• Whitlam was dismissed because he was attempting to extend the life of his parliament indefinitely.ย  The resulting General Election saw him lose by a landslide showing that the Australian people wanted rid of him.ย  If it hadn't been for the Queen's actions, Australia would now be a dictatorship.ย  Be grateful.

• Robert B
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Excellent answer. It is customary, moreover, for the Governor-General to correspond with the Queen, or whomever else he wishes, when deciding grave constitutional issues. ย 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.