Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

How many of you actually read Trump's executive order, rather than just reading propaganda about it? It doesn't do what you think it does.?

To understand whats in it, you have to READ it... away from the fog of the controversy given by partisan media outlets.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/full...

It seems pretty clear that Trump is citing existing laws and is trying to establish a working group to determine if these laws are being followed to the spirit of the law.

To explain, EXISTING laws protect internet services from being sued based on the content uploaded by their users, so long as they don't modify or interact with it. Basically, they can argue "we didn't know this was happening therefore we cannot be sued for it."

So the argument is that Twitter can FactCheck if they want to.... but now they have to FactCheck EVERYTHING on their website and if someone finds something that twitter won't factcheck or if they argue that the factCheck label is applied incorrectly then they can sue Twitter.

If twitter just lets USERS apply the factcheck label, then twitter is entirely in the clear... so twitter just cannot interact with its own content.

Favorite Answer

I understand the reasoning behind it because Internet CREATORS and CONTRIBUTORS have been demanding it for years. 

These big Tech companies were offered the protection of the law and the government if they allowed freedom of access and speech to the Internet. They reneged and started editing and censoring content in an effort to manipulate elections and public opinion.

TWITTER can take the blame for this by supposedly "FACT CHECKING" the President by using erroneous facts from CNN which were later proven FALSE. But other platforms have been doing the same for years and their turn is coming up too.

• Sfancik
      1 month agoReport

Nothing specific?  What's CNN facts turned out to be false?  And are you sure they only cited CNN?  

No. It doesn't. And, he has a point. Sites like Facebook and Twitter have a decided leftist bias. An article is deemed 'false' unless it agrees with the position held by the left. Facts, more importantly, the interpretation of the facts, have very little to do with it. 

I know you haven't read it. How do I know? There aren't any pictures or coloring sections in it

I made some initial hasty comments on it based on a not quite full understanding of it.  Now I've read it and understand what it means and what it does.

I think he better be careful what he asks for, or orders.  The problem he is going to have if people do sue Twitter is that when you fact check Adam Schiff's tweets, most of them are actually true, unlike his own.

But I say this is a step in the right direction.  I'm for more fact-checking!

• a2yar

He is a moron. That will bite him

If it doesn't do what we think it does why is he doing it