Sean asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do the markings on a cat’s fur indicate that’s what their skin is really like?

I have a Turkish Van who has brown spots on the pigment of his nose. You can tell one of his ears is actually brown from the markings and the other is just his regular skin colour by looking through the white fur.

But my Calico has black and orange markings all over her body. I wouldn’t have thought that’s what her skin would look like underneath her fur though?

Cat skin is normally dark colored because of eumelanin, a dark brown to black pigment that protects the skin from cancer causing UV light. If you brush aside the fur, you should see dark skin. Hair gets its color from two pigments, eumelanin and phaeomelanin (yellow to red).  A black cat has lots of eumelanin on its hair, a yellow or orange cat has phaeomelanin on the hair but no eumelanin.  A cat with white fur has neither eumelanin or phaeomelanin on the hair.

Some cats do lack pigment on their skin, and they have pink skin instead of dark skin. I had a black and white tuxedo cat, and he had pink skin on the belly where the fur was white. Don't remember what color skin he had on his back, which has black fur.