What's the point of wearing gloves? It makes no sense to me. A virus cannot penetrate skin. What's the point?

Favorite Answer

The only time a Dr. wears them is when he’s probing a body orifice or an open wound and then they come right off and into a biohazard container.  Wearing them shopping for an hour is pointless, the wearer winds up touching everything including their face which negates any benefit from wearing them at all.  I’ve seen people wearing gloves and surgical masks while driving in their car all alone.  This is the height of stupidity.   

• Ted K
      1 month agoReport

"The only time a Dr. wears them is when he’s probing a body orifice or an open wound..."  Idiotic.  Are you a Dr?  I AM.

The point of wearing gloves is to prevent transmitting a virus from hand-to-hand contact. Its an extra layer of hand protection on top of regular hand washing or hand sanitizer. The hands are the single biggest vector of the transmission of micro-organisms.

Touching surfaces with virus on them often keeps you from touching your face with gloves on.  Normally we touch our face with bare hands.  We rub our eyes with bare hands, etc.  Touching money with virus on the money - another good reason to wear gloves when dealing with cash daily.  Do whatever is necessary to keep from getting this often fatal virus.

To protect from the virus when you touch things. 

This is a deadly respiratory disease passed on by inhaling droplets from the breath of another person, so wear gloves, is what we have been told. 

You are correct. The advice has been dangerously wrong. The best thing to do is wear a mask. This stops you from inhaling the droplets and also stops you touching your mouth or nose. 

There are far fewer cases in countries where masks are mandatory. 

At first when I went out I took the advice and wore gloves and washed all surfaces at home. Then I learnt about the disease, ditched the gloves and started wearing a mask. I wash my hands well when I get home, before touching anything in the hose, but the mask is the best defence. 

• Tor1 month agoReport

The CDC's  PPE guidelines for contact contagons, including all respiratory viruses, is gloves gown and mask. so sorry, you're wrong.

If you have dry cracked hands..You should wear gloves when out. A paper cut can become infected, too. The contagion can also live under the fingernails, so nails should be short and even when washing hands you should use a nail brush. I don’t have a problem seeing anyone protecting themselves and the public because being proactive can save lives. It is the careless, that I think are ignorant. Wearing gloves is far more wiser, than ignoring vulnerable areas and entry accessibility for this contagion. Just don’t forget to still wash your hands.

I’ve been in healthcare for a long time and one careless moment can change your life with a contagion like this. Better safe, than sorry or dead.  

Btw. the other poster is wrong because after a patient leaves, the room has to be cleaned, so our staff puts on gloves to clean the room, disposes of infectious waste and start the process of sterilization. Even a nurse drawing your blood wears gloves and basically anyone touching the patient should.     

It is not about being a Doctor, it is about protecting yourself and others 

Gloves often make the user far more aware of face touching, to the point that they don't do it. In the early days of COVID-19, when gloves were recommended, I was surprised how often I unknowingly touched my face, including to adjust my mask.

Because you take off the gloves and discard them, you also stop transferring the virus that may have been present on anything you touched. Handwashing properly does the same thing, of course.

Apparently many people were also transferring the virus from store to car to other store, too, which is not even using gloves correctly.

• Ted K

"Virus cannot penetrate skin."  Duh.  But how many times a day do you absent-mindedly scratch/pick your nose, rub your eyes, or get your hands within striking distance of your lips/mouth? All those are potential routes of entry of the virus into your body.

If you have gloves on, you know not to touch your face with them. If your gloved hands are potentially contaminated, you strip off the gloves, do whatever you have to do to your face--scratch, rub, pick, whatever, then put on a fresh pair of gloves.  This is just common sense.  It's amazing that this has to be explained to you idiots.  You're like kindergartners.

You transfer the virus from your hands to your mouth or eyes and then boom.

Update: When you return home you remove and dispose of them correctly and then wash your hands as advised. 

If people want to wear gloves and masks that is their business.

• Tor1 month agoReport

If you can't don and remove a pair of gloves correctly you're an idiot that deserves to die as a product of natural selection.