Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

Do Japanese dislike Brown people ?

I’m from Mexico and i’m thinking of going to Japan in the near future, but I have heard they don’t like foreigners that much, especially non-white foreigners. Is this true?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

For a fact, Japanese hate  foreign workers and illegal residents. But they greet tourists.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Not intrinsically., no.

First regarding treatment in general, in other countries, tourists are taken advantage of and pay more than the locals. In Japan it is usually the opposite. Japan's customer service will make you feel spoiled, then after you return home, angry at how mistreated you are in your own country.

Most people who are saying Japanese don't like foreigners to you speak poor to no Japanese, have not spent any appreciable time in the country, and make no real effort to get to know either Japan or the Japanese. No, Japan is no utopia, and yes there is discrimination - you are and always will be an outsider. But overall there are more positives than negatives. And dislike foreigners? Hardly - you will find few to no other countries that are willing to help foreign visitors more. Try naming some countries that welcome you more, without having some ulterior motive of ripping you off, screwing you over, or getting your money from you.I, and many others, could give you countless examples of some Japanese going WAY out of their way to help when you are lost or needed assistance.Again, this is not to say Japan is one big La-La Land. It is often frustrating dealing with their extreme lists of excessive and idiotic rules at some places.

As for non-white foreigners, case by case, but there is some truth to it - other Asians, Filippinos, Middle Easterners etc are often treated less than Caucasians, but overall you might find more discrimination against foreigners back home than you'll get in a daily basis in Japan. And if you're African-American, being in the US will be far, far worse than in Japan.

• T
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I don't think so.  If anything, that might work to your advantage in some respects. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Don’t go there, they don’t like brown gaijin. They only like your white neighbors in the north 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.