What version of Linux can be on this computer?

200 MHz 32-bit CPU, 16 MB RAM, 8 MB video RAM, 2 MB audio RAM, 100 MHz graphics, 67MHz sound

Update:

1GB of storage

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think any recent distributions target such hardware. Even Tiny Core Linux requires 46 MB of RAM for the graphical version, or 28 MB for microcore. An older distribution, like Damn Small Linux, would run on it. Your main limitation is the lack of RAM. If you were able to upgrade that to maybe 128 MB, you would have a lot more options.

You could also compile something that would run on it yourself, such as Linux from Scratch or Buildroot, but this isn't exactly simple for beginners, and isn't a distribution per se.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Linux Lite and maybe a older version of puppy linux. There are hundreds if not thousands of versions of linux you just have to find the right one.

• 2 months ago

I doubt any version Linux will run on that thing puppy Linux requires 300 GB of RAM minimum I don't know what you intend to do with that computer but it sounds to me like you have like a 1987 commodore or something. It's good for an antique but that's about all it's good for.

• roderick_young
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Didn't downvote, but perhaps you mean 300 MB of RAM?

• 2 months ago

The system requirements for Linux are tiny compared to the requirements for Windows.  Your specs are above average and beyond the minimum for Windows 10.  So any version of Linux will run on our computer.

• roderick_young
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Didn't downvote, but the OP says they have 16 MB of RAM, not 16 GB.  Sounds like a Windows 98 vintage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Probably none.  You should get a better CPU at 100 times the speed, at least 500 times more RAM, better video system.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.