Ben asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

I'm planning on going Pescatarian? Will it be ok to eat fish everyday? I'm worried about mercury?

So my diet is made entirely of healthy starches, mixed fruits & vegetables.

My protein is mainly from fish including; tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines, sea bass & trout. I also include plant based proteins such as; beans, pulses, legumes, and lentils served alongside my fish.

Occasionally, I do have eggs, but maybe once a week.

I am going for low mercury fish such as tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines, sea bass, and trout. However, I am worried about mercury poisoning.

Would it be safe for me to eat fish everday?

• Generally speaking yes. Usually the bigger the fish, the more mercury you’re likely to find. Swordfish, Tilefish, and shark/mako are up there as things you should seriously limit in frequency. Salmon and tuna make that list, but they’re something to eat with mild caution. Focus on trout, bass, and snapper, as well as shrimp. You can still eat salmon and snapper, but maybe not everyday for a fish heavy diet. Not to mention they’re pretty expensive compared to beef and chicken.

And I would add in a bean dinner as well as a pasta dinner at least once a week. Maybe alternate between fish and another protein to definitely balance out the potential mercury levels.

• You'll be fine I'm sure. From me studying native american cultures and them living around rivers and the oceans, they ate fish every day and lived very long and healthy lives. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.