Why is insurance on Honda Civic so expensive?

I just got quoted on a 2009 Honda Civic and a 2009 VW Jetta. The Jetta came to $380 a month and the Civic came to $450 a month. This is also my first time getting insured but I thought that the Jetta was going to be more expensive because it is a German luxury car, whereas the Civic is more of a plain and simple car.

The Jetta is my cousin's who is a car mechanic, and hes been driving it for several months, and the reason I'm considering it is because its a diesel. But my dad was considering getting my a Civic as my first car.

But why Civic so expensive to insure compared to a German luxury car?

As for the civic, I'm speaking of the 4 door family sedan. Just a regular trim level and for the Jetta, I'm referring specifically to the TDI trim.

• May
    Favorite Answer

cars are rated by insurance companies as to safety features that might prevent an accident, or the cost to repair certain parts on the car and on the complexity of repairing certain parts and areas of the car, etc. etc.  As such it is entirely possible that a "plain Jane" car could actually cost more to insure than a luxury vehicle.

As an example; My 2020 $49,975 luxury car is cheaper to insure than my 2020 plain small $17,500 car 

• F

Wow that’s a lot for insurance. That’s what I pay for a year!

Look at a Citroen C1 or VW Up instead .

Just think how much your insurance would be on a hot rod.

I'll give you a story about my 2008 Civic. A few years ago I was rear-ended by a guy in a Toyota Tacoma going about 20 mph. The fender was trashed and the assembly goes the entire length of the car, so in other words the rear fender to the front including over and under the doors, is ONE piece. That part alone costs $6000 parts and labor to install it. They had to total my car. That's why insurance for those, along with it being a target for thieves, is expensive.

• lj1

The Honda Civic is the number 1 stolen car in the U.S. Insurance companies know this. They also know that they're wildly popular among street racers ("boy racers" in the UK). It's fairly easy to take a Plain Jane Civic, and tune the engine to put out a lot more horsepower than it had when it left the factory.

Insurance for drivers getting their first car is expensive.  For any car.  For a person who has had cars and insurance for 20 years, the insurance might be more like $450 a year.  Maybe a little more, but much less than you were quoted.  The driver matters more than the car.

The reason for the difference could be many things, but it probably has to do how the cars tend to be driven or about the finances of the owners.

For example:

A car called a "minivan" tends to be driven much more carefully than a car called an "SUV", even if everything is identical except for the name, because mothers tend to prefer cars called "minivan" and tend to drive carefully and single men tend to prefer cars called "SUV" and tend to drive, well, less carefully.

Credit scores don't directly affect driving ability, but there is a strong correlation between credit scores and insurance claims.  This may be because drivers with high credit scores sometimes pay out of pocket and don't file claims, but drivers low credit scores are more likely not to have any cash on hand and to file a claim for even a minor accident.  Or it may be that drivers with lower credit scores are more likely to file fraudulent claims when they need money and didn't really have an accident.  Or maybe a careful person is likely to have fewer accidents and a higher credit score and a careless person is likely to have a lower credit score and more accidents.  There are other possibilities too.

Some ways this could apply to your observation include:

a) Drivers who can afford a luxury car have money and, like drivers with higher credit scores, will have more claims.  Drivers who can only afford a Honda Civic have less money and, like drivers with lower credit scores, will have fewer claims.

b) Drivers who want to buy a Civic might not be as good at driving as drivers who want to buy a luxury car.

• Anton

The Civic is more wanted by young males to play racer.  Hence, Civics crash more.  Hence Civics need more body parts (which in part comes from stolen cars.)   Hence the insurance costs more.

Probably because the civic is way more popular then the Volkswagen jetta.

You didn't provide much information here but different trims/options on these models can make a difference in insurance cost, as does whether it's a 2-door coupe or a 4-door sedan. 

If the Civic is a 2-door, the insurance cost would be higher than for the same car as a sedan. Why? Insurance cost is all about statistics -- how often a vehicle is involved in an accident and claim. And statistics show that sporty 2-door cars driven by young people are involved in more accidents than boring 4-door family sedans. 

Of course, there are at least a dozen other factors that determine insurance cost. Credit score is now being used by many insurance companies to set rates. Statistics show that people with lower credit scores file claims more often.

The Civic is  one of the most stolen cars.