Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Should I say something afraid of racial tension ?

I’m a nurse one of my coworkers who is African American was talking to another coworker who was Caucasian about how she doesn’t want to treat any of our Caucasian patients with C

ovid-19 and hates caucasians and wants to just let them all die. I’m actually Asian and I found that to be very upsetting. My coworker looked vividly upset like almost in tears. Should I say something to my charge nurse tomorrow when I go into work or just let it go? I’m not looking to stir up any issues but as an Asian i have been treated very poorly too believe me I had a patient refuse to let me treat him because I’m “Chinese” I’m actually Korean but that’s besides the point. I just felt her comment was way out of line. Should I get involved? 

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

She's creating a hostile work situation for one, and secondly if she is giving white patients subpar treatment due to her own biases, that is medical malpractice. You should report what you overheard to HR.

Also my answer would be the same if she had been a white nurse giving subpart treatment to non-white patients. No one with that kind of attitude should be in medicine, period.

Absolutely.  It isn't the sick people's fault she has issues.  Maybe a moment's pause in finances would help adjust her attitude.  Right now she feels safe because she is needed and so her guard is down.  I would approach her and tell her I heard what she said and I find it appalling.  I understand you are fearful of retaliation but the guilt of not knowing if she is caring for her patients will weigh a lot heavier especially if someone dies.

Yes, you should go to your charge nurse. Don't you all take an oath or something to treat every patient and do the best you can for them?

i would talk to your manager about it

You should always confront racism, not matter what the color skin the racist has.  Clearly you're not a strong person so yes, report her to the charge nurse.

• Tiffany
      1 month agoReport

That's rude to say they is not strong. I wohld be afraid to say something too, even thoigh I know it's what I should do.