Would you pray if an older person was sick or dying?

Usually if somebody is very old and they are close to dying - I don't pray they recover when asked to pray for them - I might pray they get closer to God and die a painless death instead

My uncle was very sick years ago and I told my friend to pray for him to die a painless death instead of praying for him to recover

My reasoning is everybody dies and there is no use trying to deny the inevitable

I wonder if I seem like a jerk when I never pray for somebody's sick grandparent at work

Favorite Answer

I do pray for very old people who are sick and dying, but my main focus is for their salvation. 

If they already know Jesus, it’s kinda hard to know how to pray because going to be with Jesus is gonna be everything.

But I do believe sickness came through the fall of man and is not the will of God. Jesus told us to heal the sick and He didn’t say “except very old people”.  People don’t have to get sick to die - they can die peacefully in their sleep when it’s their time.

I wonder if you’ve thought about these questions: What if they haven’t fulfilled all God has for them yet and the enemy is trying to cut their life short with sickness so they don’t? Who decides when someone is too old and we shouldn’t pray for their recovery? I heard a testimony of a 102 year old with cancer who was healed when their church prayed and died peacefully and free from sickness around 6 months later. 

So I’ve decided to ask the Holy Spirit, and pray for everyone to be healed unless the Lord says otherwise. But I also need to ask for more revelation about His heart on this so I can pray with faith. The Father loves us and Jesus bore stripes for our healing and it brings Him glory when He does a miracle through our faith. He might still have more for the old person to do for the Kingdom on earth too - a greater legacy to leave before they go be with Him for eternity.

Pray for their well being is a good ethic of human being.

Of course!  Before my Dad died, I always prayed.  My prayer was to please give me and my family the strength to endure when he did die.  He died almost 4 years ago and me and my family are here and strong.  Thank you God!  

I'm sure you "seem like a jerk" if you refuse someone's request to pray for a loved one.

What you pray for depends on the circumstances.  I've already prayed for someone to die, and he wasn't that old.  He had terminal liver cancer and was suffering greatly.  I prayed both for God to release him and for his salvation.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

Yes, that's smart idea not to pray for something that is not going to happen because it is bad for god's reputation and puts his very existence under a question

u should visit him and hold hands with him.

• D-Girl

I've asked people to pray for my death and they've refused.

:(

• You're stupid. Who cares? Just let people die. Hail Satan! Wanna mess around? I have a harmless game for you to play! Contact Satan, and chat. Nothing more to say? Coward. I knew it. 

You're mostly right. Scripture teaches that we pray for spiritual healing and salavtion first and foremost. Its okay though to pray for peace, comfort and strength if we are sick or dying. 

Prayer does nothing.