How do I make a career switch into finance with a Human Development and Family Sciences degree? ?

I graduated from a top 50 University back in 2014 with a Human Development and Family Sciences degree. Since then, I spent 2 years working in fashion (that's what I thought I wanted to do. however, low pay and didnt have the right connections). I've also done some Admin work which I hate. I would really like to get into finance and potentially get a MBA, but I have no idea how to go about doing it. Any ideas?

I don't think you understand what "finance" is as a career. It's all paperwork, statistics, numbers, and more paperwork. It's 70 hour weeks with no vacations to start, and years of grunt work with slow advancement, if any (achievement is based on performance - making money for your employer).

I don't think college is the way you want to go. You didn't use your first degree, and I don't think you really want a business/finance degree.  You don't need a business degree to go into business. Get a job in retail and work your way up to a management position. Learn everything about the business while you're on the job, save up your money, and then go into business for yourself.

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

I already went to college? If id go back to school it would be to get a MBA. I work part-time retail right now and it pays me $9 an hour. How does anyone save on $9 an hour?

You would be competing for admission with finance & accounting grads, and you appear to have no serious background in that. You may need to complete prerequisites to get accepted, or may simply have trouble competing for admission. Certainly you will have trouble keeping up with more appropriately educated & experienced accountants in classes. Also, MBAs are a glut on most markets. Most glutted: accounting & finance, HR, marketing. How badly do you want to be an accountant, and how do you know this really is the right field for you? Are you willing & able to vigorously pursue this?

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

is accounting the only position in finance? 

This is going to entirely depend on the school you want to go to. You have to start by contacting them and finding out what you have that will transfer to the new degree and what requirements there are for finishing it. You can also start by buying a book called Barron's Four Year Colleges and Universities online (or in a bookstore, reference section) and looking at the first 150 pages or so--it will pretty much tell you which schools are your best bets for such a degree, how much they cost and what their requirements are for admission. And it gives contact information for every single 4-year school in the US as well as amenities and programs available. It's a more efficient way to get all the info you need in one place. 

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

I already graduated from college tho? are u suggesting I go again?

Contact a college advisor. - Captain Obvious.   ## EDIT - yes, go back (to your alma mater) unless you can find an employer that will train you. [B.A. in Business Administration (Accounting major) - a long time ago]

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

but i already graduated from college? 

• John

Speaking as an accountant, if you hate administrative work you will not likely do well in a Finance career.  

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

admin work as in i dont like fetching coffee or ordering lunch. I want to be involved in the business not just doing busy work 

How do you know you will like finance as a career? Have you ever talked to anyone in the field? Are you good with numbers? You need to research this field thoroughly before spending the money to get an MBA. (After all, you went into fashion because you loved it and how did that work out for you?)

i would ask someone in your school about it

So, the worlds on FIRE...literally...and you want to change jobs...hmmm...let's see how that is going to work out...NOT.

• asmerelda1 month agoReport

??? more business loans are being requested now more than ever. How old are you? 12?