Is there really some people that can do the seattle to Portland bike race in just ONE day?

like if they start at 6:30 am or 7 AM and get to north Portland by 10PM?

Favorite Answer

Sure. I did the one day option about twelve years ago.   It is a "ride"—not a "race"—though the fastest cyclists certainly are riding the best they can.

I chose to do it in one day because during the training rides in the weeks before, I noticed that after a 100 mile ride, I was very uncomfortable (sore legs, butt, shoulders, etc.) being on a bicycle the next day.

The two day option is about 102 miles the first day and about 105 miles the second.  The one day option stops at Centralia College for a lunch and completes after that for a total of 204 miles.

The ride began in ten minute stages between 04:30 and 07:30; one day riders get the earlier times and two day riders get later times.  A couple hundred riders were professionals, or nearly so:  mutual respect between cyclists allowed those folks to begin ahead of the pack.  That is, no one wanted to be in their way.

The ride began at University of Washington athletic field and ended in Holladay park south of Lloyd Center.  The route crossed the Longview Bridge and followed Oregon highway 30 in NW Portland.  I don't recall if we crossed the Willamette on the Steel Bridge or the Broadway Bridge.

The very best riders (doing the one day option) completed early afternoon.  The bulk of riders complete late afternoon to early evening.  I believe the end-of-ride officials closed their services around 8 or 9 p.m.

About 20% to 30% of the 8000 (limit) riders choose the one day option.

While cyclists are welcome to participate in the STP ride without any preparation or training, few do.  First, the ride costs $140 to $160 per person (which includes logistics, snacks, water, etc.)  Second, few humans can easly ride 50 miles without some practice.  Cascade Bicycle Club (the organizer of the STP) publishes an extremely helpful training guide:  It begins in February with 30-50 miles per week and progressively builds up to 100 miles per week by mid-June and has a 150 mile week two weeks before the ride (which is usually mid-July).

some people might be able to do that