Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Don’t you hate when you step out of your comfort zone with food and end up wasting your money cuz it’s nasty?

Literally money thrown the drain unless one of your neighbors with no taste buds would eat it

Yeah, especially when you're really looking forward to it. I ordered a Chinese "Value Box" from a new takeaway that had opened by me. Just £10 for Egg Fried Rice, Chips, 4 BBQ Spare Ribs, 4 Chicken Wings, 4 mini Spring Rolls, Sesame Prawn Toast and Curry Sauce. It was disgusting. All food I'd normally love, but this place just obviously couldn't cook. All tasted like cooking oil and the meat was so fatty and Chips soggy. I threw it away. I was devastated, I was hungover and needed a good binge. I think I might have PTSD from the Heartbreak.  :'(

I don't have a comfort zone but what I do have it the knowledge of what I do and don't like. If the ingredients in new recipe isn't within those perimeters, I don't bother making it. Surely you can read a recipe and tell if something will be to your liking??? If I see something that involves a lot of cooked spinach, I don't bother with the recipe because I hate cooked spinach...I also won't make anything that involves anchovies and capers..Also not wild about tripe...so anything that involves those items is a no on my list. simple.

• Nope. Doesn't happen. My comfort zone is BIG and I've never made anything that was nasty. It may be a bit boring, but I can figure out how to make it less boring or use/change it somehow in order to finish it up. 

yes--I made a meal from a magazine recipe that sounded good--in theory---really had high hopes for it--but ended up throwing out most of it--because it was gross--never use recipes from them now--ever!

I generally research something before I try it, either cooking it myself or going to a restaurant to try it. I do not like Mexican or Indian food, so I know pretty much that I would never cook them for myself, and that there probably wouldn't be a lot for me to eat if I were to go to either type of restaurant. 

• kswck2

That's what food experimentation is all about. Sometimes it is good, sometimes not. 

If you're that sensitive to your own bad food and that upset about throwing it away it sounds to me like you shouldn't step out of your comfort zone.

Usually does not happen that it is tossed.  Might not be a favorite nor will it be made again without changed. 

I can tell by the ingredients and method of cooking if it is something I will like and want to serve. 

When reading reviews of a recipe if more than a hand full of people had to change it or had comments about it I go on to the next recipe.