Jason
Jason asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Will my cat evade Traffic?

I assume they do, but I have just let him out for the first time today and I live next to a busy road.

Favorite Answer

Definitely your cats can evade traffic. It is very swift animal and very sweet.. Meaoooowww!!! 

• ZotsRule
      1 month agoReport

Idiot.  Of course best answer goes to someone as stupid as you.  Don't get too attached to this cat.  It will be dead VERY soon.

Maybe, maybe not.  One of those cars will get him.  Or a coyote.  Or a raccoon.  Or something left out that's toxic.  Or a cruel kid.

If you really care this little about this cat just take it to a no-kill shelter and surrender it.  It deserves a MUCH better life than what you're willing to give it.

• Ocimom

50/50 chance of not getting run over by a car or truck.  If you value your cat, you will keep him inside where he is safe.

It might do you need to be careful with him. :)

• Maxi

Many do and too many don't

I have seen enough dead cats on the road while driving to know that it is not a good idea to let them out, unless you think of them as disposable. If they get killed, just get some new ones. That is how some people treat cats.  That said, my family cat, a tuxedo cat, was very smart and he would stop and look around while crossing the street on the few occasions that he was allowed to go across the street to play (not by me). It also helps that the street I lived on did not have a lot of traffic.

That said, I have seen many cats cross streets without looking. May be they are not as smart as my family cat. I also had an alley cat that lived in my backyard hide under a car and he got flattened and killed when a parked car was moved.  There was another one in the same litter that got run over by a lawn mowing machine operated by a city employee in a park across the street from where I lived. Not sure if the person saw the cat or not. Since they were alley cats,  I could not keep them indoors.  I also saw my neighbor's cat climb a fence and got killed by two pit bulls belonging to a different neighbor. There are a lot of danger for cats that roam outdoors. So, if possible, keep them indoors. Cats do not die from boredom.

• ZotsRule
      1 month agoReport

Um cars are a TAD faster that cats so even the cat did look both ways it CAN'T outrun a car heading towards it.

Cats arent smart enough to evade traffic.   Infact they will get spooked by a car travelling and run right into its path in a stupid attempt to escape.

Cats get smashed in the road all the time.

Keep the cat INDOORS

I've seen four cats dead and one dog at the side of the busy road outside my house. you let your cat out--you deal with the consequences...unfortunately-so does your cat.

Not always. I see dead cats on the side of the road on a somewhat regular basis and outdoor cats live shorter lifespans. 

Take him outside on a harness, get an outdoor enclosure or keep him inside. Cats are happy indoors. If yours are not its because you have not provided enrichment which is essential for any pet. Its the lazy route to let them outside. Your main goal as a pet owner is to keep your pet safe. You wouldn't let a dog, rabbit, ferret etc run loose right because that would be dumb. Its the same for your cat. 

Possibly not. Most cats that are allowed to wander freely outside have much shorter lifespans than cats that are confined.

• Nekkid Truth!
      1 month agoReport

he can have a full life indoors if you make the effort to provide stimulation such as a cat tree, potted cat grass, an open but well screened window with a perch and interactive cat toys