Desirable traits for a commercial or criminal lawyer?

What traits are prominent in the commercial and criminal law sectors?

Would someone have to adjust their attitudes and behaviors to fit into the culture of the firms? Or, would someone fair better expressing other less common traits?  

Favorite Answer

I'd say tenacity, confidence in your research, confidence in your knowledge, are the the important skills/traits when practicing criminal law.  Also, an attorney/barrister has to be very, very non-judgmental.  Just because someone has a lengthy criminal record does NOT mean they have committed the crime with which they are currently charged.  In the beginning it's hard to separate the client and the crime.

Some firms are more restrictive than others, no question.  I don't know what expressing less common traits means.  Can you give me an example?

And your writing skills will be very, very important.  It's fare, not fair.  You need to proof read, proof read, proof read.

This might amuse you and it involves proof reading.  I recently reviewed the summons and complaint in a lawsuit over real estate.  Opposing counsel MUST have copied both from some other document.  In both the summons and complaint the attorney refers to his client as the Defendant instead of the Plaintiff.  Duh.

The ability to think logically is THE MOST important trait.

Would someone have to adjust their attitudes and behaviors to fit into the culture of the firms?

You just FAILED the test.