Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How do I socialize this summer in the era of social distancing and not being able to see people in person until there is a vaccine?

I have basically been inside with my Mom or walking in the woods alone since March 16th. She is the only other person I have seen in 2 and a half months. We get along well so no problem except it is summer and I love seeing people in summer at family gatherings and public events like 4th of July. I cannot see anyone this summer because there is no vaccine. I can't even do the gathering I do each year. I am so depressed about that. How do I soften this and enjoy my summer inside alone with Mom? I am 26 and female. I am afraid it might be this way again next summer and at the holidays this winter.

Emailing and Facebook Talking to people feels like it is fake and doesn't count. 

Favorite Answer

Restrictions are lifting so you are not legally obliged to remain indoors and only walk in the woods alone.  Reach out to family, extended family and friends, and arrange for a catch up with one or two, maybe three people (dependent on your area's new limitations).  Keep up the social distancing when you hang out with your peeps, and if necessary, wear a mask.  No need to to be inside anymore, get out and enjoy!

Nobody ever said we all had to stay indoors.

You take your chances (and increase likelihood of infecting others) by socialising out of the house. Or, you stay inside and make peace with the situation. Take your pic. 

Huh?  It is your choice at this point whether or not to see people. No one is being told to stay home alone for two years until there is a vaccine.  From all the data, it seems that people who don't have compromised immune systems are safe to go for walks and bike rides and hang with other people outside.  

People are getting COVID-19 from prolonged close contact with an infected person.  As in living with or working daily with someone who is sick.  People are not getting sick by sitting in lawn chairs and talking.

Each city/county has their own rules. It is unlikely that large public gatherings are going to happen, but small family ones in someone's back yard are already going on.  

But why are you staying inside now? The rules have changed: you can go out and meet a few  people, still 'socially distancing' of course, but there's no need to hide away any more.I've had small tea parties and drinks parties in my garden these last few days, with everyone sitting at least 6 ft apart. Never more than five at a time.It's been great. When someone leaves, another person walking along the road gets asked in.

i would just be thankful you still have your mom around, wish i did

• Fireplace
      1 month agoReport

Me too, my mom died 2 years ago. I'd love to spend a month with her. 

You can see friends with a mask and social distancing, outdoors, plenty of space, away from crowds,  6 ft and a mask, no hugs or handshakes.

Handwashing after touching anything in public, carry hand sanitiser.

It is not healthy to have your Mom as your bff.

Covid will be with us all for a long time, time to learn to live with it.

Hiding away with Mom and not seeing friends is not healthy.

• Steve

Get the heck outta the house - NOW!  There is NO REASON to be such a hermit for something that is just a bad flu.  Wear a mask like requested, stay 6 feet from others and talk to your friends.

I see people all the time in person.  

We simply meet outdoors and maintain the 6' distance.

Problem solved

You obsess over the fact that Christmas will likely be the same thing.