why is "pride" a thing?

I don't mean why is the word pride a thing, I mean why is any type of pride not earned a thing?

pride is supposed to represent a personal acheivment so why are things that are not earned seen as something to be proud of?

like sexual attraction, a person who's attraction if acted on will cause harm, has a right to feel pride in the fact that they are doing what they need to not be a danger to others, 

but not in the fact they have a sexual attraction because that was not earned it just is.

i just don't get the logic having gay pride is like haveing sight pride{being proud you can see}

i don't get why we do it and it confuses me,so why do we have pride for unearned things?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Wow. Do they even bother teaching English anymore?

"Pride" has more than one definition. It is also the opposite of "shame", which is the emotion most of society was/is intent on instilling in gay people. We are not ashamed, we are proud.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

1) Inform yourself on the history. The stonewall riots were a protest against police brutality against lgbt in the late 60’s. This protest was the birth of the modern gay rights movement and the pride march commemorates this. I can’t summarize all the bullying and injustices that went on back then in one Y/A post - you would really learn a lot by reading up on it or at least seeing some videos on it at a bare minimum. If you think lgbt have it bad now - back then it was a heck of a lot worse. 

2) understand that a lot of lgbt youth commit suicide due to social stigma. So reinforcing pride is for many a life saving thing. 

• Craig
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

It might help you, for a start, to enlarge your view of how the word "pride" is used.  For example, a vain person is proud of their looks.  A trust fund recipient might be proud of their expensive possessions, even though they personally accomplished nothing in order to possess them.  And so on.  "Pride" - the word - can't properly be considered to have only the definition you've posited.  It has several others.

One of these "other" definitions has been shared by several social movements dating back to the 1960s (and perhaps earlier).  These include - among others - Black Pride, Chicano Pride, and Gay Pride (later, just "Pride" - referring to all sexual/gender minorities).  You could elaborate this meaning as "anti-shame".  This use of the word is just as valid as any of the other definitions, under the iron-clad rule that usage determines meaning (in English, anyway).

All of these forms of "pride" are based in the same social issue:  They promote an antidote to the harmful effects of social marginalisation...of being looked down upon, ignored, being locked-out of things others enjoy, or being abused.  Such experiences eat away at the marginalised people's confidence, self-regard, ambition, and hope.  Their experience of the world becomes skewed with anger and shame, which tends to turn them into less-healthy individuals, and less-healthy citizens.

The various "pride" movements are constructed of activities and messages designed to show these individuals that they are not alone.  They also aim to demonstrate that what distinguishes their constituents from those who look down upon them is not actually a justification for such discrimination.  Their objective is to replace the corrosive shame/anger that society suggests to (and actively induces in) the marginalised individuals with the positive experience of feeling EQUAL to all other members of society.

All in all, this use of "pride" is beneficial not only to the minority involved, but also to the rest of the society that has traditionally despised that minority.  In this, it's distinct from reactionary movements such as "white pride" or "straight pride", whose proponents are not actually dealing with marginalisation and shame - but who are instead dealing with resentment over the idea that formerly marginalised individuals are now considered their equals.

• 5 months ago

as far as my understanding goes the word pride explains the feeling you get when you accomplish something, and seeing as no one tells some one when they stopped useing the word correctly becuase { muh language is alive}

when people use it when involving race,sex,sexuality and so on it appears they are saying they get a sense of accomplisment out of being { insert trait they did not earn here}

wich seems irrational to me and just seems like bragging so i was wondering why it exists at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

"pride" as in gay trans bi and so on is nothing more then a personal declaration to the country one lives in that says,

i exist,thats ok, what i feel is legit , you can not tell me other wise

its not the proper usage of the word refering to the feeling of pride

• 5 months ago

If i remember correctly,gay people are not proud they are gay,but proud in the acheivements society has made when it comes to not treating them like dirt because they exist.

they use the word pride interchangeably with acceptance so when used in the context of x pride it means both the pride they feel for their community and how far the country has grown and the acceptance of who they are they feel.

atleast this is how it was explained to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.