Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

My husband is a chef and i hate his food. I don't like when he coos and im not sure how to tell him. Help?

So my husband is a chef he is great at his job. But i hate his cooking when he cooks at home. He cooks so much food for two people and uses so much butter oil everything its excessive. I usually cook at home. But i really really hate his cooking like i hate it. I can't stand it he's from france. I am American i don't know if that has something to do with it 

Thank you all for your responses we have spoken about this topic so many times and I word everything extremely carefully as to not hurt his feelings. I told him that I'm on a diet and I cant have any salt or oil. Only healthy food. Fish and vegetables mostly. He cooked me salmon yesterday with vegetables, no salt. It was actually very good. But then when I got to the bottom of my plate i noticed oil at the bottom. Good news is now he only uses coconut oil.  

I guess it progress, we just have very different palates. I will admit that french bread is amazing but damn is it high in calories and sugar. He also tried to get me to eat snails. I almost gagged, my family loved it. I know french food is amazing my problem is that he cooks like He's in a restaurant and he never cleans up after himself. I know in a restaurant they hire people to do that for him but he's not at the restaurant at home and he uses so many pots and pans.  Its annoying.

• kswck2

What is common with professional chefs is that they have a difficult time adjusting cooking for 100 and just for 2. When I became a chef, I found it difficult to cook for the 500 I now cook for each day and also tend to cook too much for home. 

That said, French cooking is usually quite rich and does involve a lot of fats and sauces. Escoffier is considered the God of French cooking so blame him for it(ask your husband about him). 

Your husband needs to tone it down a bit-he has probably been doing it for so long, he just doesn't know any other way. Put him in charge of the grill outside and you do the cooking at home. And don't give him a choice at first. 

I assume you have already addressed this with him before and he either just ignores you or says the He will do the cooking at home? He needs to be reminded that it is Not a competition. 

• patty

say u went to the dr and your cholesterol is very high so u have to have more healthy food

• Kate

You are so lucky to have a husband who cooks classic French food. Beats American style food hands down. Wish I had a husband who could cook like that.

• denise

Talk to him and say that you'd like to cook 2 or 3 meals a week, say that it will be a break for him and you'd like to cook something for him.

• Jane

So it's tough to tell a successful experienced french chef that you don't like ( Hate!!!) his cooking lol? Maybe chat with him about 'cuisine pauvre', traditional family cooking that is all about making use of basic ingredients, not rich resto dishes that no-one eats everyday, including french people. Maybe start chatting with him about his work, his culinary passions, his culture, plan a wonderful holiday in France for sometime in the future.And when Covid restrictions relax, get all your friends and family round for an amazing feast! They will love it.

I'm in the UK, from here, we get the idea that N Americans eat loads of fast food or box mixes in huge portions. I know this isn't true, any more than the idea that Brits only eat roast beef and fish and chips. Healthy eating is good for everyone, and each culture has it's own wonderful ideas.

Try to relax and have an open chat with your hubs, don't worry, if he is truly passionate about food he will welcome your ideas as long as you don't start by criticising his dishes.

sounds like you need to swap spouses with the wife who has a husband that undermines her by bringing home pizza after she has slaved all day cooking....

Check ..What can I do when my husband undermines me when it comes to our children...

Since he’s a professional chef and also 

French, the use of butter may seem excessive to you, which it can be. Why not share your feelings with him and ask him to prep a more bland selection using less fat? He should know this, and prob won’t be upset 

Mon Cheri, I admire your talent but this food is too rich and too much for me everyday and it hurts my stomach.  I need to eat less and lighter to feel my best self but I don't want you to be sad.  Can we develop some recipes together for home use? For god's sake, don't use the word "hate," that will create a wound that will never heal.

There are different tastes, of course, but I think a large part of the problem is that your husband is a restaurant chef.  When people go out to eat, especially in countries where going out to eat is an occasion, people want bigger portions and richer food than normal since it's a treat after all.  Young chefs when they're training practically live at the restaurant and will eat there too.  They can lose touch with "normal."

Then you have the common man-issue that they just don't get that they need more calories so "fair" isn't actually a 50:50 split.  Working out the portions is a common tussle at the beginning of relationships but if you don't fix it sooner rather than later they'll wonder what else you've been quietly seething about and the whole thing gets bigger than just different calorific requirements.

Tell him but give the information some time to settle.  People take even well meant criticism as a barb at first and will get knee-jerk defensive.  That's just human nature, so be bright, breezy and cheerful and move onto something else, preferably in another nearby room and give him time to digest the info.

Finally, marriage is about compromise and compromise shouldn't mean that both have to be equally dissatisfied at all times.  Sometimes you're going to have to let him make his favorite things at home and then it would be polite to taste a little if bidden.

Oh, and don't ever let either one of you fall back on "we're from different cultures" as an excuse not to clear the air.  Would you seriously let issues fester if you'd married the boy next door?

I've spent a good bit of time in France, and their cuisine is different from chain restaurant and buffet fare in the States. I find French cuisine superior to the usual food served at US restaurants, but the two are based in completely different philosophies of cooking. The ideal situation would be for the two of  you to spend a week or two in France, eating in all kinds of different restaurants, but pick only one Michelin  starred restaurant because they are quite expensive.  My concept of how the French cook is that they make each individual dish as good as it could possibly be without altering the basic taste of the food. I'd suggest a week in Lyon, as the food there is superior to Paris, and ask your husband to speak with the chef before every reservation to communicate the reason for the visit. You would need to cast aside any dietary advice you have ever heard, just for a week, and enjoy yourself. So, don't criticize his cooking until you understand the grand tradition his work comes from. I think you will be amazed, transformed, and become a fan of French cuisine.

• Anton

" My husband is a chef and i hate his food ...

Help? ...  i hate his cooking.... "

You need help?  No problem.  Your options are divorce or mariticide,  Mariticide is cheaper.

• Fireplace
      1 month agoReport

IvaB, mariticide is indeed a word, it is the unlawful killing of one's husband. Next time look up a word you've never seen and do not understand before "correcting" someone who needs no correction.