Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Do you create your own receipes or follow food bloggers?

I am what I call a pantry/refrigerator chef. Both are pretty well stocked. I create meals with what I have on hand. So, a quick look in the pantry and fridge will typically inspire what I am about to create.

For instance, I may be in the mood for shrimp over rice. A look in the fridge may spot some shredded coconut. And there are canned pineapple chunks in the pantry. I use the pineapple juice in the can as some of the liquid in the rice to which I have added some coconut. The shrimp is kabobed with a chunk of pineapple inside the 'C' of the shrimp, which gets a brushing of Asian sesame seed dressing before going on the grill. Right before the rice is done, it gets a handful of frozen peas. The shrimp over the rice makes for a colorful meal.

I used to read cookbooks when I was younger, so I learned prep methods and experimented from there. I never measure anything other than rice and water. I cook in a freestyle method on a whim. I base my cooking on what meat/fish I am using and then get inspired by the pantry/refrigerator contents.

My friends and family used to ask "what is for dinner", now they just ask.."a bottle of red or white?" LOL

I have a huge collection of some of the greatest cookbooks and no longer use them and I have access to thousands of internet recipes and sometimes glance at them but never use them. I know enough from years of experience to make up my own recipes and I love to cook so I find it a pleasure not a task. 

I absolutely never follow a food blogger. I have no use for them. They are an advert wrapped up in a recipe. If I want a recipe for something I will google it, and see what it takes to make it, and generally will put my own spin on it. I will research the basics but flavors will most generally will be experimented with to suit me.

yes,share my own receipes and food blogers sonirakhra.

• denise

Both, I also copy some recipes from magazines, then make a note of them if their tasty / successful. 

• I look at Bon Appetit, Foodwishes, and some other sources as ingredient and instruction reference, but I rarely ever follow a recipe from start to finish unless it’s baking. As long as I understand the basic point of the ingredients and, I can go from there and add whatever else I should have in the fridge at the time. I’m always looking at google images for what looks good or different and I just run with it. I’ve been cooking professionally for 4 years ever since I went to school. 

I'm still not exactly sure what a curry is...

I've seen more than a few posts on here about people trying to cook new foods and throwing out the whole thing because they didn't like what came out. I personally learned when all that was on TV at 5pm was news, we didn't have cellphones or computers and ready meals used to cost $8/head. USED TO, ha! So everyone worked with mom and grandma to cook dinner. I learned principles and science, I remember the lesson "well if you cook that now it'll be cold by the time everything else comes out, huh?" And I've mastered what I can do with those principles and lessons, even expanding a little. I had one depression era and one 70s health teacher, by the time I was learning, food can have flavor again, hooray! Let's not forget the mace/sauted habanero incident. But like I said, with that background I would have no idea what to do with a curry, dosa, crepe, I can't cook an alligator, what is in a gumbo anyway? I would indeed mess those up.

If there's something I don't know I'll Google a recipe to see what they're doing. I fat fry all kinds of veg but okra was a recent little tiny adventure out of what I'm comfortable with. Allrecipies dot com gave me some tips.

I have no interest in following a food blogger. Overly complicated, all for show, some kid telling me to use avocado oil or else I'll die, funk outta here. I have a roommate who considers himself a foodie. There's a greasy $40 bottle of vinegar on my countertop and black balls of some sort in the fridge. So burnt I'm not even joking to say I have no idea what they are. Food blogs have created a generation where we did in fact blog physics to a dog and put him in charge of a nuclear power plant. Good luck with that.

I generally read two or three recipes on the internet, giving preference to Alton Brown and Bon Appetite, Then I  venture forth with the core ingredients and proportions that are common in the recipes. Often I add fish sauce, and always try to imagine the taste and add or subtract ingredients to fit my imagination. Strangely it usually turns out good. Sometimes I have to adjust the final product, but it's rare that I have to scrub the effort and start over.

I do Both for my cooking

• Anton

I don't follow any blogger. 

I look at recipes at good websites, like  allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com

And then I correct them before I make them.