Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 5 months ago

If no one tags or mentions you on social media (you are an adult over 35) can this mean you’re invisible or not liked?

As we live in a digital world now...

And others you follow are liked or tagged or mentioned all the time

😕

Not one person I know, (family, friends, aquaintances and co workers ) aged 20-90 uses the phone to talk, it’s all text and messenger and social media.

Only my elderly parents in their 70s use thre phone to call and neither are on social media

• J

I’m 33 and I never post on social media. It’s stupid and a waste of time. I suggest you start living in the real world instead of getting upset that nobody tagged you or commented on your posts. It’s just not important. 

Have you considered that no matter how much your friends like you, they don’t give a crap about your social media posts? Nobody’s interested in seeing your pics of meals or hearing about your boring day. They don’t care about your vacation pics or the memes you repost. That’s partly why I don’t use social media. If you want your friends to take an interest in your life, try actually speaking to them and spending time together. 

are you even on social media?

I can get 20 likes or zero likes on a post. It doesn't matter. I don't even really pay attention.

maybe they just didnt see your facebook

It can mean that. Anything's possible. 

I'm only too happy to be 'invisible' on social media. I don't tweet or facebook or whatever, so it would be quite worrying if people DID tag me!

I would have thought a person over 35 should by now have developed enough self-worth that they didn't have to post anguished, obsessive questions about whether they were 'liked' or not.

I can but likely doesn't.  Instead it likely indicates the lack of depth to your relationships.  We live in a digital world, but inter-personal relationships are still alive and well if you put forth the effort to make and keep them.

People like and follow others on social media for many diverse reasons, and ultimately this comes down to personal choice.  Age, gender, occupation and/or attractiveness may be an influencing factor but equally, plays no role in how or why someone posts/tags online.  More importantly, if you are equating your self-worth to how someone perceives you on social media, perhaps consider the underlying cause of this mindset.  Why do you feel so attached to this online identity?  People are so much more than the number of likes or tags they receive.  Also, people across the generations use and peruse social media, so age is not an overriding influencing factor.

• Dv8s

No, it means you expect too much from others.  You shouldn't rely on tags or mentions to determine you're self worth.

Yes, you are invisible and out of their mind, they do not like you, face it.