Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Should coworkers or my boss care here? Or not?

Yesterday at work I had trouble with my vision & went to the hospital ED, (after an hour at work,$to get my eyes checked out,

Should coworkers care?

I had no issue before work, it happened suddenly.

Saw black spots and lines & have very poor sight already.

Took today off as advised, work tomm.

Should coworkers have texted and asked how i am yest?

What’s ok here?

Only one did, the person who dropped me off at ED.

Am i disliked as no one texted?

Not even my boss, (who was not there but was today..)

Can anyone give a non troll answer?

Why did they not text?

Should they? Or not?

Would you?

You poor reported troll...

It was an eye bleed  that couldve caused loss of vision, was not a migriane, not everything is a “migraine” 🙄

it's one day and according just from you, only the person who drove you knew about it. nobody knows the results yet. 

• Foofa

Doesn't sound like anyone at work even knew this was happening. We can't expect people to be omniscient. 

• Edna

Why do you think your co-workers would text you and ask you how you are? 

All your co-workers knew (if they were even aware that you had left) was that you left work early for some reason. Leaving work early doesn't necessarily mean you're sick.  

Your co-workers didn't know you went to the ER and they didn't know about your eye. The only person who knew you went to the ER was the co-worker who dropped you off at the ER, and that person probably didn't even mention it to your other co-workers. 

i think they shouldve cared

"Why did they not text?" - You have to ask them. No one can read their minds. 

"Should they?" - If they want to, yes. If they don't want to then no, not necessary. 

"Would you?" - Only if I was friends with the person. Not just "friendly", but actually friends. Asking someone who is an acquaintance, who is no more than a coworker, would be disrespectful of his/her privacy as it is a personal question. 

"Am i disliked as no one texted?" - Once again, only your coworkers know how they feel, whether or not they like you. 

They do care, but not that much. People are often absent from work for medical reasons. As you had been taken to the hospital by a colleague, not as an emergency, they most likely thought, "If anything dramatic had happened, we'd hear about it", so they assumed you were basically OK.

Then presumably you phoned in today to tell the boss you had been advised to rest but would be at work tomorrow. The boss therefore KNEW there was no cause for concern.

You are making too much of this. No doubt if you had had to stay in hospital for treatment one or two or them would have texted, but unless you're very close friends with any of them, they would assume your family were dealing with you.

• Chanel

That happens in the workplace. The people are too focused on their work but if it was something very wrong then it would be nice for your colleagues to text or call.

It sounds like you had a migraine attack.

You're there to work, not socialize.

I wouldn't care, unless they were hot . Good excuse to get up them. Guess you are not. 

While you wanting someone to contact you makes sense to you, your co-workers and your Boss are not obliged to reach out to you.  Ultimately, this comes down to personal choice.  Remember, how you would react/respond in a particular situation is not an automatic given that others would do the same.