Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 month ago

Who started saying the slang "whips" in rap song (term for a car)?

For a while I thought the slang "whips" was quite new. Like 10 years or something. Cause I didn't start hearing rappers saying it in there songs til around that time.

But the other day I register the song "lil Wayne - Go Dj"

And I heard him say "I ride by ya in a foreign whip"

I never realized he said that in there before. It was song since I heard it before hearing it again the other day

So how far back does rapper saying "whips" in there song go?

• JJ

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the "whip". The whip is what you used to control the horses on a stagecoach, hence the analogy. Many years later, various hip hop artists noticed that the Mercedes-Benz logo resembled a steering wheel. They then proceeded to use the old term "whip" to describe any Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The term has now been generalized to classify any expensive automobile.

• Mr.412

Idk who the first rapper was but I know that whip is slang that started in Oakland California