Why do white people say "get over slavery" but "also say "never forget 9/11"?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would say get over 911 as well, at least to the conspiracy theorists. You also seem to assume only white people were killed and that is plain wrong.

For ANY injustice, as David Ben Gurion once said:'Forgive, but never forget' 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

People should get over both, but not forget either, they’re both great for memes

• 1 month ago

Why are you lying?  I'm white and I've never said either of those in my life.

• 1 month ago

911 was actually in our lifetimes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

white privilege, selective memory.

• 1 month ago

"Never forget 9/11" is not a white people thing, it's an american thing.

• 1 month ago

Surely you can see the difference between something that officially STOPPED happening more than 150 years ago*, and something that happened not even 20 years ago?

When the last person dies who was alive when the Twin Towers were destroyed, THEN we can start talking about forgetting 9/11.

*Yes, I know very well that it was still a long time until black people acquired the same legal rights as whites in the USA, but the essential point - the official abolition of slavery - happened in 1865.

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I know. I realise things are still very far from right for black people in the USA. My point was simply that 9/11 was much, much more recent. There can be no comparison anyway: between years of abuse v one (admittedly horrendous) terrorist attack

• Slavery was tragic, but we gave it up, our society learned their lesson, and we have to move on . Instead of griping about what happened one hundred and fifty years ago, live your best life now . An attack on our country is a completely different thing . If our country is attacked, we should be angry about it for a good long time .

• 1 month ago

The thing is 9/11 hasn't finished. People are getting cancer right now caused by breathing in asbestos in 2001 so the disaster is still ongoing after 19 years, the disaster isn't over so it can't be got over yet. In 100 years then people should get over 9/11.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't compare slavery to one of the biggest tragedies in American history.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.