I have a pc that with my itunes account and various other things. Someone told me to transfer my files to an external hard drive?

What type of drive? I have heard there are some that you can just plug in and it will download your files automatically! I think even a dimwit like me can figure that out! Little help?

• Lv 7

that kind of "automatic backup" is overkill, and unnecessary. you only really need to back up your user files. they are here:

C:\Users\<your username>\

go to that folder, right-click each folder, and click "Send To, then click your flash drive at the bottom.

if you get a 64GB flash drive, it should be more than enough, unless you have a ton of videos, and it's less than $20.

You need to start by determining how much data you have to back up.  In addition to your itune directory, you will also want to see how much space is being used by your "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", "Download", etc.

Once you have the size, you can decide if you can do the backup to a USB flash drive or if you have to purchase an actually USB external hard drive.

Whichever you go with, it is then simply a matter of plug in the drive.  It should open a windows where you can see the content of the drive.  Drag an folders/files you want to back up over to the window.

Many of the external hard drives will say on them that they include a backup program.  You plug in the drive and it will prompt you to do a backup.  You still have to tell it what folders/files you want to back up, but normally it will assume that the "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", and other standard data folders will be among those.  Usually a USB flash/thumb drive does not include such software.

• Ron75

Just use an external SSD Drive or a thumb drive and back the files up manually. Those automatic programs always seem to do strange things and some of them will also put crap in that you don't want.

Ron

• Bill-M

Type of  Drive:   External SSD  that plugs into USB port.

Download Files Automatically =  Not a good idea.   Some of those backup programs compress the files so you can't read them.

Best to just use Windows 10  File History back up program.  It does not compress the files on the external drive.