Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Hooked up with a guy 10 years ago, should I be worried?  ?

10 years ago, I hooked up with a guy that was in a relationship (Jay). He said he was going to break up with his girlfriend for me, I eventually realised that wasn’t going to happen so I cut all ties with him. 3 years ago we talked on Facebook and I decided to forgive and forget, but he started acting sleazy again and the conversation ended in an argument. We have not spoken since then, however my boyfriend and I were just invited to a small gathering of 10 people, that Jay and his now WIFE will be attending. I know that asking strangers is not going to be very accurate but what are the chances of everything coming out? Should I just stay Home that night? 

Unlikely.  I'd tell the boyfriend that you knew Jay many years ago before he married.  Then play it by ear.  I doubt if Jay is going to say anything out of the ordinary in front of his wife who may not know anything about you.  Just be polite and pleasant and don't spend time conversing and reminiscing with him.  As far as your b/f is concerned these two are virtual strangers and you should act accordingly.  Hello/goodbye with a bit of innocuous table-chat in between.  Concentrate on the other guests.  If you can't face it at all - make a polite excuse and don't attend.

sounds uncomfortable

Talk to your boy friend.  If he is comfortable with you being around that ex for a party, then go if you want.  If he is not, stay home.  If you go and there are any issues, you simply excuse yourself and leave.  No need to make a scene or to get into a shouting match or anything.  Simply leave.