When we park my wife’s Toyota Sienna minivan on a slope, the ignition freezes up.  How can I fix this?

Whenever the ignition locks up, the key won’t advance to the start position unless we rock the van back and forth vigorously.  My wife is not strong enough to do this by herself and needs help when it happens.  Our vehicle is still under the power train warranty, but I don’t think this would be covered.

Do you have any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

While the car is in Neutral put the parking brake on and make sure the car cannot roll, then out the car in park.  

• M.

Turn the steering wheel left or right until the key turns.  You need somebody to show you what's happening.

• M.
      1 month agoReport

I don't write answers to get picked.  I write answers that hopefully the asker reads.  Even if I get a thumb down, its ok, because at least my answer was read. 

Thanks for commenting back "Ryker"!  Take care.

It's probably the steering wheel lock. Try turning the steering wheel left and right while turning the key.

1.  Only park on flat land.  2.  Take the vehicle to a shop and have it repaired.

Get the key cylinder replaced.