What is the significance of the SpaceX-NASA launch?

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • oyubir
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

That USA are yet again able to leave the rock, after a while without this capacity.

That, for that to happen, they needed to rely on a private company. Not much, I would say, because of public company inefficience. I don't think that applies to NASA. And anyway, they always used massively private contractors. But because of budget. And because of regulations (I don't think NASA would have been allowed the dumping strategy of SpaceX to enter the market of satellite launching. And that is because of that market that SpaceX can exist and launch people).

That there is a small restart of space race. Small one. Nothing compared to USA vs USSR era. But maybe US is not willing to have chinese and russians alone in space. Not because of that silly frontier myth; but even just for communication and GPS satellite, being able to reach space by your own was important. Not mentionning Russia and China being not very clear about getting space unmilitarized. If one of those develop the ability to drop payload from space (and both have made moves in that direction), USA will feel the need to do the same, I suppose.

What it doesn't mean is probably more important to be noted:

It doesn't mean that a first step toward Mars exploration have been made.

That is just 50 times the Everest. Just the distance between Washington and New-York. Nothing like an interplanetary travel.

Besides, nobody is even trying to reach Mars (it always surprises people when I say that, because media makes it like if there was a Mars race ongoing. There isn't. No country, and no private company in the world has a single R&D project on that. Neither NASA. Nor SpaceX. Mars One had this goal. But it was a scam, which never did anything else than selling tickets to Mars. Not a single day of research on how to get there. Besides, they are dead now)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As anyone who hasn't been under a rock for years knows, the USA hasn't been able to launch anyone into space since the Space Shuttle was retired 9 years ago.  It's been paying for rides with the Russians since then.  This is the first time since that Americans have been launched from American soil in a 100% American craft.  Simple as that - first all-American manned launch for YEARS. 

For a few minor thoughts, it's also the first launch of NASA astronauts from the USA on a rocket NASA didn't develop - SpaceX produced it.  And the first launch of a manned spacecraft where part of the rocket is reusable after landing on ground.  The Space Shuttle boosters splashed down in the ocean, but the Falcon 9 first stage can land exactly where it's supposed to on land, or in this case, on a ship.  So it's less work to clean it up and use it again.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

To show that we can rain down giant thermonuclear warheads anywhere on the globe. 

• 1 month ago

For the nth time, it is the first launch of United States astronauts from a location IN the United States since July 8 2011 AND the first manned launch by a commercial carrier EVER. THE first stage rockets were successfully recovered and will be used again. That is also a first.

It costs less money to the USA and indirectly to U.S. taxpayers than relying on Russia for ferry services.  .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

None, except entertainment material for the media on a slow news day.

Manned spaceflight is way past it's use-by date. Unbeknown to many people, apparently, the advance of technology has gifted us with a wealth of robotics know-how that is already well proven in the many probes that have been sent coursing through the solar system, the whole fleet of which cost far less than all the effort and expense of the pursuit of antiquated manned missions, and has provided a far greater wealth of information too.

I guess people will catch on one day, when all the hype subsides, and expense is balanced against the meagre returns.

• 1 month ago

The entire purpose of the launch is to prevent Elon Musk from being arrested for fraud.

• ...Show all comments
    • oyubir
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Straw man argument: "if you don't like Elon Musk, that is because you are racist".

(That being said, I don't see Fraud for what neither. Tesla thing could have been a cause for firing him — which almost happened, not for fraud indictment. Mars One has very little to do with Musk)

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

1. Private company

2. 1st American launched in 9 years from America

3. Less reliance on Russia launches

4. Providing H/W and S/W for future launches

5. Experience for Mars

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.