CAN I SUBSTITUTE OSTRICH NECKS FOR OXTAILS IN AN OXTAIL RECIPE?

they look so similar although from different parts of different animals I don't eat beef but want that traditional West Indian Oxtails flavor.

• Favorite Answer

Ostrich neck is a slow-cooking meat like oxtail. However the ostrich is much leaner. I've never cooked it, but I have made oxtail and I think oxtail is the most collagen-y meat I have ever made. That unbelievable unctuous texture could not be duplicated even with a different fatty meat, let alone a lean meat. 

However - what makes your West Indian Oxtails just that is the flavors of the ingredients used in the cooking (something I've never made - the recipes I looked at looked amazing)! So, yeah - I think it would work well.

• kswck2

I should think so in a slow cooked meal, but probably not in say an oxtail soup. And Ostrich is not easy to get in most places. 

• Sharon1 month agoReport

Fortunately, I have access to it. I am looking for ways to use in to replace beef. I haven't eaten beef in 3 years. Ground Turkey or meatless faux-beef doesn't quite do it for me like Ostrich does.