Anonymous

Am I getting into college?

My guidance counselor advised me that if I take AP Biology next year, it’ll ruin my GPA and I won’t be able to get into the college that I want. I meet all of the requirements that my college needs for admission. It may be too early to tell because I am a junior, turning senior, but the reason why he told me this is because I wasn’t doing really well in AP Chemistry. I’ve been wanting to take AP Bio since freshman year and I really, truly believe that I can pass. I feel very discouraged and upset right now. What should I do? 

You're really asking different things:

1. Yes, getting a C or below in any class (AP or not) will drop your GPA.  The lower your GPA, the less likely you are to be admitted to a university. Most good universities want students to have at 3.3 unweighted GPA or higher.

2. If you are interested in AP Bio, why not buy one of the AP Bio study guides from Barron's, Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. and work through it. Do you understand the concepts at all?  Does it make sense to you at all? If so, and you know you can allocate the needed study time, then consider Enrolling.

3. Biology and chemistry are both lab sciences, but they don't have that much in common at the high school level. 

4.  Are you generally an A student or a B or C?  You shouldn't take any AP class if you goal is to get a C.  AP classes are designed for students who are strong academically and also have an interest in the specific subject.  

5. Ask your counselor about the options for dropping AP Bio.  Every school has a way for students to withdraw from an AP class if they find it too challenging early on.  What is that process for your school and how far into the term can it be done?  What options would you have for replacing that course and how would that change impact your ability to graduate?

• drip

Have you taken general level biology?

Do you plan on a major that will need you to take a college level biology class? Then yes take AP biology.  

Why did you do so poorly in AP chemistry? Figure that out. Use that knowledge to change your study skills to do well at AP biology.  

Understand college level work is going to be different from high school classes.  AP level classes help a student to be able to adjust a little easier to university level classes. To be better prepared. 

Do a look at yourself. Evaluate yourself. What needs to change. What, in you, needs to change, grow, morph to do well your senior year in an AP class and as you go in to college.   

Many colleges will want your unweighted cumulative gpa and transcript from the end of junior year. Senior year doesn’t help you much to be admitted.

All universities will want your senior transcript. Your acceptance is on the contingency of them.  If you really bomb senior or fail a required class, your acceptance could be rescinded. Or they may ask for a letter of explanation.  

Try to think of your senior year as a chance to really prepare yourself for college.  AP class can help in that.

Believe in yourself. If you think you have a good chance at a decent grade (B- or better) take that AP bio class.

hopefully you will, talk to your guidance counselor about it

Lol get your counselor fired. She wants you to fail.