Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If a rioter attacks me and I use a stun gun or mace, will I go to jail for murder?

You have a right to protect yourself.  Hopefully, the stun gun will only stun.  They don't often kill someone but, I think it has been known to happen.

Neither a stun gun nor mace would normally count as lethal. That said, preexisting health conditions can be exacerbated by such tools. So, if a person dies as a result, then you're going to have to hire a lawyer to really spin self-defense.

Generally, you are allowed to defend yourself with like force (lethal with lethal, non-lethal with non-lethal) if you think you're about to be attacked. 

But consider that if you're face to face with a rioter who's about to attack you, chances are there are others nearby who will jump you as soon as the first attacker is down. 

Some jurisdictions will take into account whether you instigated a confrontation.

Best practice? See some rioters, flee to safety.

*I am a CA licensed attorney; the information above is not legal advice but general information, only. No communication with me shall establish an attorney-client relationship. Why am I here? Because I am bored, need a social life, and trying to make sure my law school knowledge isn't completely gone.*

• xyzzy

Mace will not kill anyone and a stun gun will very seldom kill anyone so no you will not go to jail for murder but may go for assault or battery or both.

Since neither a stun gun or mace is lethal.....I'm guessin' no.