Is owning slaves still legal in any countries?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Libya seems to be pretty open about their slave markets. 

• Billy1 month agoReport

Great, thanks, I'll go there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The last country to abolish slavery was Mauritania in 1981,Slavery in Mauritania was criminalized in August 2007. However, although slavery, as a practice, was legally banned in 1981, it was not a crime to own a slave until 2007. Although many slaves have escaped or have been freed since 2007, as of 2012, only one slave owner had been sentenced to serve time in prison. It is currently estimated that that 20% of its 3 million population, are enslaved as bonded laborers. Even though slavery is illegal everywhere in the world there are currently about 40 million people held in slavery. See Freetheslaves.net

• 1 month ago

It's not technically legal anywhere, but it still goes on in parts of Africa.  It's against the law on paper in those countries, but only on paper.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I could be mistaken, but I don't think it's officially legal anywhere anymore.  Unfortunately, it still occurs within the black market and within criminal cartels and terrorist organizations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

African tribes are still very primitive.  They haven't all been civilized yet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.