Child support?

So something recently got me kinda curious, but can people be sent to jail for not paying child support even if they have no income, like as if they were unemployed and can’t get unemployment or such? Like I just don’t understand how the government can throw you in jail for basically being broke? Like it just does not make sense no matter how I look at it. Like if the person is trying all they can to find a job or otherwise so they can pay but just isn’t having any luck then how is that any fault of their own? Idk just something that boggles my brain. If someone has an answer that makes sense that’d be awesome

• Foofa

Child support orders are based on formulas that consider the income of the non-custodial parent. If your circumstances change through job loss or reversal of fortune you just need to take evidence of that to the court and ask for a new support agreement. Of course if you fail to do that the child support arrears will continue to mount to where you could be tossed into jail. 

IF the law in that state calls for jail time,yes.

You dont get put in jail for non payment.   You get put in jail for contempt of court

Idk where your from but in Texas if you got no job they slap child support as you making minum wage and well it just stacks and stacks before you know it you can not get your car registration or fishing hunting license cause child support block that till you pay and if you have money in a account you can wake up one day to it being all gone so if you got Lil money saved withdraw it. You get garnished cant really owe anything go into bad credit. That has happened to me I really never gone farther than that or to jail and I have really fell months and way behind but I guess after a while of  nonpayment you can go to some contempt and its felony to. Just send what ever you can show you trying it really bums and  remember wrap your willy or she have your paychecks for 18yrs. Save yourself headachs

• Matthew1 month agoReport

Well the post isn’t for me :p plus I already have kids lol but my friends dad I guess is about to go to jail for 3 years. And it just makes me wonder like what if a person couldn’t help it ya know. Like there’s just no way it’s fair and it sucks if it really can happen that way.