Robert asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

Why did President Gerald Ford pardon Nixon, and not publicly hang him instead?

Precedent. Republicans wanted the office of the Presidency to be above the law. They got their wish.

Anyway it was a condition of Reagan resigning that Ford agreed to pardon him.

• Jeff

1.  There was no death penalty in the U.S. at the time

2.  Nixon was never tried much less convicted of any crime

3.  Had Nixon been convicted of obstructing justice it wouldn't be punishable by death

What Nixon did is nothing compared to what other presidents have done such as Obama giving guns to Mexican drug lords so they could murder border patrol agents and even that wouldn't deserve the death penalty.

• xyzzy

Hang him for what? He was never impeached or convicted of any crime. Ford  explained that he felt the pardon was in the best interests of the country and that the Nixon family's situation was "a tragedy in which we all have played a part. It could go on and on and on, or someone must write the end to it. I have concluded that only I can do that, and if I can, I must."

Ford was part of the oligarchy. There was a lot of outrage by people who were angry Nixon escaped justice. Ford lost the 1976 election so his role in the pardon paid a price. 

• John

There was no deal between Ford and Nixon. The military went to Defcon 3 when Nixon resigned.

• Phil

Because Nixon gave him the top job.

You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, quid Pro Quo.