Bobert asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Native English speakers: do you ever watch movies with subtitles even if the show is spoken in English? If yes, why?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Paolo
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I do if there's background noise or it's late at night and other people are trying to sleep 

• 5 months ago

I have experienced some hearing loss, and I often use subtitles because of that.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Sometimes because accents can be tricky, even for one who's traveled a lot like myself.

• 5 months ago

I don't CHOOSE them that way, but if that's how a movie happens to be, then yes, I watch it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sam
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Sometimes people do that for parties and movie nights. So people who want to talk can talk and the people who want to focus on the movie can. 

• 5 months ago

Sometimes, the subtitles are hard coded, so, you cannot turn them off.  It is interesting to see how often they differ from what is actually being said!  That happens in other languages as well.

• 5 months ago

Occasionally, yes. Because often the soundtrack portion of a movie makes it difficult to hear all the dialogue. Also, sometimes there are very strong accents or slang usages that make it hard to understand clearly.

• 5 months ago

I think so a long time ago.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.