On a leased car, do you have to get your car serviced at the dealership?

financing is a bit different when I did it like I got snow tires and oil changes at regular trusted mechanics but if it was a big job like a differential flush I went to Honda.

Now on a leased Toyota I am wondering if I can do the same. Can I get my tires changed at a regular mechanic instead of the dealer? Its on a lease so at the end of the lease if something is wrong I can tell them that I did the maintenance there and not somewhere else.

By law, the warranty CAN'T require using a dealer for anything other than service paid for by the manufacturer under the warrant. The lease doesn't even require having routine maintenance done. but you will pay for damage resulting from not doing it.

I always serviced my (purchased) vehicles at the dealership while it was under warranty.  I still take it to the dealer for oil changes and other recommended service - usually waiting until they send me coupons that make it similar to another shop.  I just prefer that, and feel better knowing they are doing it.   (Although, I don't do everything they say the car needs.  Too often they try to sell additional work that isn't necessary, or won't be necessary for a long time, or many miles - that I may not use before I sell the car). 

When I need tires, we take it to a local tire place that has incredible prices (depending on the car or brand of tires) for the same tires the dealer would charge me close to double for.

If I were leasing a car, I would do all required maintenance at the dealer, so they could never say something was wrong with the car or wasn't properly maintained.

• Jay P

Your lease agreement is likely quite long and filled with a bunch of legalese.  But buried in there somewhere will be your maintenance obligations.  I suggest you follow them.

What does your exact lease contract say?  And yes you need to look it up.

Believe it or not, there are no international laws governing private lease contracts.

If your lease contract says you have to have it serviced at the dealer, then you have to have it serviced at the dealer. If it doesn't, then you don't. Pretty simple.