Canada/Japan Tax - Money Withheld from Inheritance?

I am a Canadian living in Japan. I am a resident of Japan for tax purposes, so pay income tax in Japan, not Canada.

Two years ago a family member in Canada passed away and I received some money as an inheritance.

The law office that distributed the money had to withhold part of it (maybe 15%) because I am a non-resident of Canada.

Is there any way to receive that money? I brought the tax slip to the tax office in Japan when I went to file my income tax, along with a translation from English to Japanese, but they didn't recognize it and just ignored it.

Thanks for any help.

1 Answer

  • 2 months ago

    u pay taxes according to the country u got your inheritance in. if u got inheritance in Canada japan has nothing to do with anything anywhere

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.