Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

As a landlord, can't I deny a tenant for any reason?

I am a landlord in Wisconsin and I prefer white, straight, Christian tenants in my community.  Aren't I allowed as the owner of the buildings to decide who I do business with and who lives in them? 

God Bless!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You probably can't discriminate based on race, religion, and various other factors (there are 7 protected classes but every juridsdiction adds other classes locally, so its impossible to say exactly what is a protected class where you are).  There is an exception, where you actually are allowed to refuse people in these protected classes (ie you can actually discriminate) if you are a small time landlord with just a few units - however, this exception is not allowed in some areas and if you discriminate you are still likely to get sued at some point.  

Just don't discriminate. If you feel the need to discriminate then maybe this isnt' the business for you to be in.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

You are prohibited by law from discrimination when offering any housing. That means, NO you can't restrict your building because someone is not white, or heterosexual or Christian. You MAY restrict by AGE--if you have a seniors/over 55 building, but even within that parameter, you STILL can't mandate that the older tenants be white, Christian or Heterosexual. 

• R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Apparently there is a Trollville in Wisconsin.

• 1 month ago

Read curtisports2.  He is right.  On the one hand, you can choose and deny as you see fit.  On the other hand, IF you are set on doing it, do it subtly. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

NO.

You cannot deny a person based on race or religion.  You are not allowed to decide based on race or religion.  You are allowed to decide based on most other criteria, but not those.

• 1 month ago

If it's a 2-4 unit building and you live in one of the units, or it's a single family house and you own three such houses or fewer and you do not use a real estate broker to secure a tenant, you are exempt from the Fair Housing Act.

That covers federal law. Wisconsin's Open Housing Law is far more strict. You can't discriminate based on race, sexual orientation or religion.

• 1 month ago

Sure. There are no fair housing laws in trollville.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes you can. Who cares about FHA lawsuits?

• 1 month ago

Oh, you're not a Christian. Your question makes that obvious. 

• Glenn S
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You are a troll

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.