What does "Black Lives Matter" mean to you?

Note: This is a serious question meant for serious critical thinking comments. If I find that all I'm getting is troll comments then I'll just delete this questions or comments.I just want to hear some of your guy's thoughts.

For me, its about ending police brutality and mistreatment towards African Americans out of racism. But the problem that I have with MY definition is:

1. It doesn't address racism towards other minority groups. And if it did, the phrase definetly didn't represent them (at least on a literal term). Nor does it address police brutalities against white folks because lets be honest, no race is excluded from police brutality. Plenty of times have I seen videos of white a person getting shot or brutally injured by a police officer who clearly weren't a threat.

2. It encourages the idea that all police brutalities towards black people is out of racism. Derek Chauvin could (again COULD) have been a man who had many black police officer friends and black family members that he cared for. Point being its difficult to distinguish wether or not police brutality is done purely out of racism. Had the officer himself been colored or the victim white would the outcry have been as bad?

I wouldn't say I don't support Black Lives Matter, but I would say that the phrasing has its drawbacks. For me, it doesn't matter what religion, skin color, gender, sexuality etc. the victim is, its about ending police brutality and the abuse of authority. Its not always about racism.

• Peter
    Favorite Answer

Did Derek Chauvin intend to kill George Floyd?  Most likely not, but did he take any precautionary steps to ensure Floyd was not in any danger? No he didn't, so it could be said that black lives, or at least one black life didn't matter to Derek Chauvin. There is ample footage of people looting stores, many of those people are black and many of the stores they are looting belong to black people, those shops are their livelihood, so, do black lives matter to black looters? Who knows, as for me, I believe all lives matter.

• Paul

I understand where people are coming from, and what the phrase means. But personally it does't mean much to me, other than stating the obvious. There is only one race God created by God - the human race . We are all members of it, and the life of every human being is as valuable and as sacred as the lives of the others, regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender, height, weight, health, IQ, level of education, or anything else.

I have never, ever understood racism. I cannot understand why any person can possibly believe that some individual person is better or worse than another individual person just because of the colour of that person's skin.  We are human beings, all created in God's image and all came into this world via the same way. No one person is superior to another until things happen in their life that make them superior (their actions, generosity, kindness, achievements etc.)  If there are fewer black people who have achieved great things than there are white people having done the same it will be because of opportunity, not because of a lack of qualifications or desire to achieve on the part of the black person.

Two people, given the same opportunities in life, place to live, income, education etc. could achieve the same greatness.  Many black people do not achieve as much as white people do BECAUSE of the lack of opportunity. Almost 60 years ago I, personally, witnessed a black person being turned down for a particular position, for which he'd applied, purely because of his skin colour. He was the best candidate but U.K had very few black people then and they simply did not want a black person in that organization. My opinions and wish for that man to succeed were of no use because I was not in a high enough position for my choice to be valid.

• Katty1 month agoReport

What you say would be good exceptcits not all true.  Often people get the same opportunities as others but, do not achieve the same greatness due to something within themselves and nothing more.

To me, it means that I'm black and therefore, I am entitled and that other people's lives do not matter.

Take off your blinders and try thinking for a change.  How many white criminals (and there are many more than blacks committing petty crimes) have been choked to death by white police officers for a petty crime like passing a counterfeit 20 dollar bill or selling loose cigarettes on the street.  This is what makes it so unjustifiable for the black man.

• Orla

My life isn't more important than a black life.

• Katty1 month agoReport

My life is not more important but, it is equally as important as another one.

I don't find it a zero sum game. All lives matter but black people have been treated like their lives don't matter more than any other group in the U.S. Them asserting "Black Lives Matter" is them being angry about that and resisting it by saying the opposite loudly. There might be somebody black out there marching and thinking quietly that nobody else's lives really matter to them, but they've got their asshole supremacists just like everybody else does.

It's their group, they started it, and they can call it what they like. There's no reason everyone else can't start a group to augment them that includes everyone explicitly, though BLM does talk about other racialized groups, just not white people. Anyone could start up a group against police brutality and/or systemic poverty that everyone could belong to, but none of the white people bitching about BLM have bothered to do that so it's an empty criticism. White people could have been up in arms about white police deaths but they have never bothered to protest, so why the **** do they expect black people to do it for them?

Derrick Chauvin was definitely not a white supremacist or a wholesale racist (to everyone not European) because his wife was not European, she's Asian but soon to be his ex-wife. White supremacists don't marry Asians. He may have had specifically racist beliefs about black people, or a mild European superiority complex (which is as much or more cultural as racial) I really can't say.

But that's the thing about systemic racism, it takes interpersonal racism + power to create it, but once its in place it catches up everyone in the system. People can not have a single racist feeling in them and still end up doing its dirty work. As long as the system lets actual racists get away with it, we all get sucked in and made complicit. Not just talking about whites. Europeans may have been the ones to create the system, but we're not the only ones propping it up. Every time a black person is anti-semitic, and a jewish person is anti-muslim, and a muslim hates Chinese and the Chinese ***** about the Indians and everyone bitches about the Natives, it keeps the wheel turning. And here in Canada MOST of the open racist crap I hear doesn't come from white people, it comes from minorities who hate some other minority. White people might be thinking it, but if they are most of them are smart enough not to say it out loud. 

Most of the people police go after are people who are poor and socially powerless, because there are no repercussions. Those people can't hire fancy lawyers and file human rights abuse cases. They're too tired and beaten down to fight back so they take it. And most of the time nobody gives a **** about them when they die, not even other black people when the victim is black. 99/100 times when there's an incident with police or racial profiling and it becomes a cause celebre it's not someone down at the very bottom who got profiled or pulled over or killed, it's a working class or higher person. No marches when an addict or homeless person gets killed for doing nothing.

Lots of people are more classist than racist. They're nervous about blacks moving in to the neighbourhood but when it's a nice family of lawyers and doctors they're like, "Oh that's alright then." Black is a code for "poor people". They don't want poor people in their neighbourhood is the real problem. A black professional next door doesn't lower the property values unless you live in an area with lots of genuine racist people who won't want to buy your house now.

So police take liberties with poor people that they think can't do anything about it, and since poor people are more likely to be black, and blacks are more likely to be poor, sometimes they make a mistake and target a black person they assume is poor and a criminal. But systemic racism in education and jobs over decades, as well as the interpersonal racism that's still out there, those are what keep blacks poorer than whites. Almost half of Americans will experience poverty at some point, most of them will be lucky and get out quickly, but the longer you stay the harder it is to get out again, and some people are stuck there by health problems...then they have no healthcare and their kids have more health problems they didn't have to have. Vicious circle.

Mostly black people are mad cause they're a small part of the population but disproportionately overrepresented in policing incidents gone wrong and receiving racism. But what's going to happen when they achieve equal status there, when the proportion of innocent blacks is equal with the proportion of innocent whites, hispanics and asians getting killed? And when there's equal numbers of college grads and average incomes?

I don't know what will happen then cause the Left has basically abandoned poor people as poor people. If you belong to a special interest group based on race or language/cultural minority status or have a disability they have sympathy but just being poor they don't give a crap about anymore. That's one of the reasons so many poor white people voted for Trump. He promised to look after them. He lied through his teeth of course, but he said the words they wanted to here and the Dems and Left didn't. They probably would have voted for Bernie (well, some of them) because he is old school Left and still cares about poverty.

A sham, pure and simple, black peoples lives matter just like everyone elses, but the Black Lives Matter organisation doesn't, because you won't see these buggers unless there's a race baiting issue involved

• Katty1 month agoReport

Black Lives Matter is a communist organization patterned after the Black Panthers of the past.  It is not about Black lives.  It's whole purpose is to force communism on the US.  

• Stalin

It has a very narrow meaning. That shows only Blacks are victims of racism and not other races. If it was "All lives matter" then it would have been logical to hear.

I can tell you what it means, not to me but what it is period.

We were not born after a case of police brutality and are not exclusively for it's eradication, we want the whole justice system to be overhauled in order that it will treat us as equal members of society.  Not just police departments but the courts, DA's and prisions too.

We want justice for all of us.  You mention that other lives matter also, that's true they do.  But our foremost responsibility is to ourselves.  One look at the statistics and it's clear that it's us who are disproportionately incarcerated, us who are disproportionately victims of police brutality and us who don't have anyone representing us within the highest order of government.

Other races are free to start their own forces if they feel victim of something but if they choose not to what does that have to do with us?

BLM!