How is National Guard different from military? ?

I hear them talking about National Guard in a bunch of cities, and then I hear everyone freaking out that Trump is talking about bringing military in the cities... 

Don’t talk politics or I’m blocking your answer, I just wanna know isn’t the military already in cities?? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The National Guard is Military, just not full time active duty.

Each state has it's own National Guard Units that come under the command of the State Government.  During periods of National Emergency like a declared War, the National Guard can be called up into full active Duty and becomes part of the Regular Army.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The NG is state run/controlled/budgeted.  They are there to be called up by the Governor if need to quell unrest or to provide humanitarian aid..like post Katrina.

Trump is talking about sending the regular military in.  Active duty Troops.  Which cannot be done on a whim.  The Insurrection Act must come into play.  Which basically means the public has to be actively trying to overthrow the established government authority.  

Not every governor of a state experiencing widespread rioting has called up their NG units. Trump is telling them to get control, or he will do it for them.  

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

National Guard is for the most part, one weekend a month plus 2 weeks of the year for doing drills. There is the Air National Guard and the National Guard. ANG comes under the Air Force and NG falls under the Army. They fall under their state for funding.  They can be called up by their state or the federal government for various reasons including natural disasters, going overseas, etc... 

In some areas he has also called in the actual Army from other locations because of the ‘ need’ for them according to him 

• 4 months ago

The National Guard are reserve units that are under control of the state rather than the federal government.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

The main difference is that Guard Soldiers serve a dual mission. They can be called on by their state governor or the federal government.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.