Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Would you attend the meeting?

There was a scheduled zoom meeting for 10AM this morning for a collaborative project between four of us. I sent out an email to the project manager this morning because I didn’t see an invite. At 1PM, we were sent a Zoom meeting invite for 4:30 today without an apology and was told that he was too deep into his dissertation and forgot. It just seems really inconsiderate to just not settle for a different date and time since we didn’t have the meeting as scheduled. 

Thoughts? Would you attend today?

If the meeting was essential, attend and follow up with what you see as the inconsideration at a later time.  If the meeting is not mandatory and you feel it needed to be rescheduled, put that suggestion forward.

• Edna

If your project manager tells you  at 1 p.m. to attend  meeting at 4:30 p.m., then you attend the meeting  at 4:30 and don't complain about it.

If I didn't have any other commitment that at that time I will have attended. 

There's no reason you should need an apology here. Obviously he's sorry to have missed it, isn't that enough?

A meeting invite is a request, if you don't want to make it then it's your prerogative to decline, but in a workplace I don't understand why you'd want to be the difficult one. You have to work together, that includes not holding negative feelings needlessly about an honest mistake.

be glad you weren't originally part of this mess. you were not invited to attend. they don't believe your collaboration would help. even the person in charge was to deep into their dissertation and forgot about the meeting. rescheduling later in the afternoon didn't considers others plan. next week would have been more appropriate. zoom on down the road as fast as you can.

Yes it was rude to not fulfill the scheduled meeting or apologize for its failure.  But to suggest to willfully not attend the rescheduled meeting is to suggest that the project manager planned on not attending the zoom meeting scheduled for the morning, and that isn't likely true.  To not attend is akin to throwing a tantrum or trying to seek revenge.  That behavior is fine on the playground when you are 9, but not amongst professional adults.  If 3.5 hours of lead time was insufficient to hold the meeting it should be ample time to respond with a valid reason why you can't attend, but not to blow off the invitation.

Yes, I would attend. Take the high road and be professional. That way, if you lose your job, you'll never have to wonder about your inflexible, childish behavior.

i would go if you want to keep your job

Yes, I would attend if I could.

Being difficult just to prove you're miffed is childish and counter-productive..