All lives matter vs black lives matter. What are your thoughts?

Black presence in American lives is very much more than is justified by their numbers. They are a minority of 13%

• Moloch

Right wingers, who don't understand what 'black lives matter' means say 'all lives matter' to bash BLM and or try to sound smart.  Some of those right wingers are racist and see blacks and 2nd class citizens.

Often my response to 'all lives matter' is, 'then you must be vegan'.

Yes, all lives matter. Nobody said just black lives matter. It’s just right now black lives matter. It’s about Racism. Blacks are trying to get there voice heard again. We are focusing on Black Lives Matter cuz that’s the issues right now

The problem with "all lives matter" is that it's specifically being used as a rebuke to "black lives matter."

Here's an analogy which I think explains it well.  Imagine you're having a family dinner and your father is dishing out the food.  He gives some to himself.  He gives some to your mother.  He gives some to your brothers and sisters.  But he doesn't give you any.  So you say "I deserve some food".  To which he replies "everyone deserves some food". 

I think that's a good illustration with the problem with the phrase "all lives matter" in this usage.  It's not that it's false.  Of course it's true.  And that's what Black Lives Matter is trying to see accomplished: the valuing of all lives.  But the phrasing is used specifically to rebuke "black lives matter" and to gloss over the ways in which we don't value black lives.  It's also, mostly, being used by white people who, for the most part, already see their lives valued by the system (at least in comparison to black and brown lives.  There's profound class differences in how lives of white people are valued).  So when white people use it it's promoting a false equivalency between how society values their lives and how it values black lives.

I agree with you, all lives matter.

As a vegan I think all lives matter unless you are in immediate danger.

I think right wingers who say 'all lives matter' don't understand what the BLM movement is about, and they are hypocrites if they eat dead animals.

Black lives matter is selfish......All lives do matter.

• Jake

No Lives Matter. Case Closed. Nuff Said.

• ALL LIVES MATTER!!

It should NOT MATTER what color you are.

I think it's irrelevant to the Television category you have posted in.

I think that the people who push back against the Black Lives Matter slogan are very much missing the point.  The point of the slogan might be clearer if you added an 'Also' to it.  So "Black Lives ALSO Matter".  Because the slogan isn't meant to deride that non-black lives matter, but asserts that the system isn't doing a very good job of protecting black lives.

Now, if you deep dive on the statistics, you would actually find that whites are the victims of police violence quite often.  The only difference is that the media isn't paying attention to it because videos of it aren't being posted.  We should ALL be concerned about the problem of police accountability.

Now, if you changed the All Lives Matter to "All Lives Matter, Including Black Lives", then I think you would be demonstrating that you understand the other side's concerns and are ADDING your own that police unaccountability affects everyone.

But whatever slogan you like, there is a real problem and people on the right need to take it seriously, and people on the left need to understand that the reason reform isn't happening is because public sector unions are too powerful.  Right now, the Minneapolis Police Union is trying to get the four officers involved in George Floyd's murder reinstated WITH BACK PAY.  They don't care about the obvious and clear abuse.

Note that this is separate from the ORGANIZATION, Black Lives Matter which I think is an incredibly poor advocate for the very change it was founded to pursue.