How do some people support entire households on one pay cheque?

There are couples at my church with 5 children or more and they buy them all kinds of expensive stuff I did not have when I was a kid

And I know households where one of the spouses becomes sick and the entire house is being supported by one working mother or father

So how do they do it?

I can barely support myself

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Ive seen families like this and most are connected with a church, a community food bank and often volunteer in the community where other free bees happen.

One family had 8 children 4 bio and 4 from another family member who passed. The mother quit her job to care for the kids and shortly after the father was laid off and the church paid their rent and supported the family until he found work.

Ive worked 3 jobs just to make it in an expensive town, in the future I'll stop and volunteer at the food bank.

• 8 months ago

Either they are great money managers, or they're heavily into credit card debt. You know you could ask them how they manage--maybe they'll have some tips for you. 

• 8 months ago

it helps to have a good job

• April
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

My dad worked as a garbage truck driver and made enough to support a family. It just depends on what type of work you do. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

A good portion of single moms I'd asme

are on some sorta financial aide prgrm whl

da rest might seem drug or their body psbly

so, yo ^¿^

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{

• edward
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Good jobs?  I can support my house by myself, i’ve been doing it for a long time.

• y
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

A lot of them with all those kids, are not living by their paychecks, they are living by tier paychecks plus the subsidies they get from the government.

• 8 months ago

Depends how much the paycheck is, and how they budget their money.

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck, but waste a lot of money on things they believe are necessary, but are not.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

In my household of two, made up of my husband and myself, we are down to one income and I am trying to get disability. I was working full time up until 2011 when my chronic pain kept me from performing my job duties. We make it but it is harder but our house is paid off and we handle our income very carefully. We take nice vacations a few times per year but we don't eat out often or feel like we have to keep up with the Jones Family or anyone else. I do plan on working part time when I can. People make it by being frugal, but some have a lot of maxed out credit cards and are in debt up to their eyeballs, probably like the kids who have it all like you mentioned?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

IF everyone pitches-in, it can be done today.  Back when I was just out of college, NO mothers in our neighborhood worked.  WE did that one to ourselves ......................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.