Please help ASAP. I have a question about what mechanics can legally do ?

I called a mechanic about my Jeep and he said the project was going to be $5000 so I paid half ($2500) for parts and labor and I took my Jeep in. He also said it was a 3-4 week job. It has now been a little over 7 days and nothing has been done and the Jeep hasn’t been touched. I want my money back and I want to try a different mechanic. He said he would give me my money back but now he isn’t responding to me. Even though I paid half and got a receipt can he legally refuse to give me the money back that I gave him? Even though he hasn’t even started the project yet?

I paid half for parts and labor to start because he said he needed it.. and then I was going to pay the other half after the job was done. 

• Bill S

Remember you are not the only person in the world.  Other customers vehicles were most likely there before yours.  Typically they go in order for work orders, so if you brought your car in one day for a repair that's going to take 3-4 weeks and expect it to be done in 7 days, reality is 4-5 days because most shops are on a 4-5 day work week then you need to pick the vehicle up and cancel your appointment because your expectations are ridiculous.  They may have already checked your vehicle and are waiting on parts, how do you know they haven't done anything?  Have you been sitting in the parking lot watching them all week?  

He's the mechanic, and if you think you can do better get your money back and do the work yourself, report back when you get the job done yourself, not another mechanic...do all the work yourself, considering you seem to think waiting a week for a 3-4 week job is just too long.  

• car253

A lawyer will not help you.   If you are not satisfied with the work call your local Better Business Bureau or take them to small claims court.   

You might want to post your state for more help.https://www.bar.ca.gov/About_BAR/

They said it was a 3 to 4 week job, until they are actually late you're in a tough spot.

For the first few days he was offering all of your money back because HE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED DOING THE WORK. Now you are past that point & he has ordered parts. 

. So the "process" has started.  He spent time looking at the vehicle and determined what it needed.(aka WORK...use of his eyes and brain and telephone or computer to order the parts) 

. This is "part of the cost of working on it". That is engaging other people at the supply end to find those parts and ship them out.>there are a lot of cogs in the machinery to get to your actual part delivered and installed.(and paper-work)

He has started.  You just can't see the fruit of his labor yet.  Because of this virus, things are going to take longer because he has no control on the supplier & shipping service they use.

Normally this would be a few day job. These are not normal times.

It is very rare, especially if you are talking on the phone or texting and NOT MEETING IN PERSON (the impersonal way it is easier to say "no".  UP Front and in their face request, there is more shall I say, "Leeway".  They read your face and can tell you are honest or just a scammer that want something for nothing.

Their wait time is a "long time". More than I would wait.(maybe they know that too, so would be more apt to refund all the money back because they did not spend it yet.??or maybe the money is GONE to the supplier so they have to tell the supplier to refund back the money because the customer is not wanting to do it anymore.   Now it depends on the shops relationship to the parts supplier...if he is a BIG customer then they would be likely to say OK and refund the money back.  If he is a smaller shop who hardly deals with them, then there is a penalty or a complete refusal.

Texting or a phone call is guaranteeing 0. You lost it.  So best you leave the Jeep there because not much else you can do because he can't do anything either.

Now you know so decide yourself.

35+yr mechanic

Did you agree to the terms of the repair job? Sign something that authorized it?  Then after 7 days you want your money back and don't want it done?  You don't have a prayer here. Sorry. You agreed to the mechanic's terms--and you haven't given him the time you agreed to. That's not HIS fault--it's yours. You should have shopped around for a better deal BEFORE you agreed to this one. Either you let him have his 3-4 weeks to do what he says he is going to do, or you lose out what you've paid already. If he DIDN'T work as agreed, you could sue him for the extra time it took or for not doing it--AFTER you waited the time you agreed to.  But not after 7 days. He hasn't even had time to get in any parts he probably ordered. And with the pandemic, he may not get them on time anyway. 

It's not the mechanic who is being unreasonable. 

• arther

so what if hes ordered a heap of parts what does he do with them send them back and pay for freight and get a credit off some mob he never deals with? 

You never pay half down to a shop. You need to get an estimate and ok any repairs first.

Yes he can keep your money if you decide not to give him the job. You put down a deposit because he needs to buy the parts. 

He said it’ll take 3-4 weeks. It’s only been 1 week. If he doesn’t finish by the fourth week then you can ask for your money back. 

i would talk to a lawyer about it

It's going to depend on what the law says where you live. Since we don't know where that is, we can't tell you what you can do.

I will say, however, that in 47 years of owning cars and getting them fixed, I have never once paid a mechanic ahead of time for anything, and in my opinion no genuine reputable mechanic with an actual business would ask for money before any work has been done.