Does Driving 80mph everyday damage an engine?

I live in part of The U.S where 80mph is very legal on the highway, I drive 80mph in my Honda Civic everyday mostly. I don’t speed to 80mph i slowly go from 40 to 50 to 80. Is there any real damage to be done cruising at 80mph on my engine everyday

My 1954 220 Mercedes Benz was designed to Cruise at 80 Miles an Hour

the German Police used them for Highway patrol

Any well maintained modern car is capable of cruseing at 80 mph. Your car would of course use less fuel at say 60 mph.

• lj1

Everyone who told you to keep up with the maintenance on your car are absolutely right. You should also make sure that the engine is up to its normal running temperature before you get on the highway. If you follow those guidelines, your car can happily cruise along at 80 mph without any problems. 

• F

No, much better for the engine than stop/ start in traffic.

Wow you are lucky! The speed limit is 55 or 65 here depending how far from Boston you are. The closer to the city the slower the speed limit. 

But a Honda Civic would be fine at that speed. You won't even be in the variable timing range in overdrive 

Every cars always doing that and there's no problem with that as long the car is maintained properly

Most of the stress is as you are increasing speed,  once at speed you are just cruising along.  

As others have said, all you need do is do normal maintenance as is the case for every car. .

• Ron

Not sure why you would think that would damage anything. Every other car is going that speed

• Kaz

If your vehicle is properly maintained, oil changes, tune ups, etc., it shouldn't be a problem at all.

As long as the engine and transmission are well maintained that should not be a problem. Back in the 1960's I had a Ford sedan that was drive 80 mph for and hour and a half twice a date as I drove to work. It was never a problem. A modern engine is much better that the old V8 in my Ford so it should not be a problem.