When should you cut back daffodil & tulip leaves?

Do you wait until they're all brown and dried up, or just until they start going yellow? I want to tidy up my beds but everyone says you have to leave the leaves for several weeks, but a lot of mine are still green and it's June!

Favorite Answer

Dead head the flowering stalks as soon as the flowers are finished, this will stop them wasting energy in producing seed.  Bit late now, I suspect, but there you are.

The leaves are important for the bulb to regain energy for next year, so they should be left until they die right back.  While they're still green they're still important to the bulb. They do look untidy but you can push them back out of the way.

Most of mine are still green too, I'm leaving them alone and waiting for nature to get on with it.

The leaves left on a daffodil plant should be left in place as they nourish the bulb for next year''s blooms.

Yes, they can look untidy and unsightly. This is what I do with my daffodil leaves:

Take the bunch of leaves and fold them in half. Using several of the leaves, wrap them around the bunch and tie them into a neat bundle until they die off. Then, mow them down or cut them.

when they have died down and brown as if u do it earlier the plants nutrients will be lost and won't go down to the roots.

After the bloom cycle is finished.

Don't! Wait until the foliage had died and withered away as it feeds back into the bulb :)

Do not cut the leaves let them dry itself then you cut the leaves.

Cut the flower stalk so that the bulb does not waste energy in trying to produce seeds.  Leave the leaves to die down so that the energy is drawn back into the bulb.  It is simple to push the leaves aside and plant other flowers in the same area.

You can cut them as soon as the blooming season is done. That's what I do with mine, and I've never had an issue with them. They'll be back next spring, and in the meantime you can plant other annual flowers for the summer and fall.

• A

Leave them until the leaves are mostly yellow, then cut down to the ground, mine are just starting to turn

• gerald

The bulbs underneath have to rebuild their energy for next year dont let the flowers go to seed and leave them for as long as posible obviously when planting summer annuals in may