df
df asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

Why is it considered normal for people to talk to their dogs and cats, but people question my mental health for talking to my lizard?

I mean he’s interactive- he moves his head around, looking at me, when I talk to him

I don't think it's normal to talk to dogs and cats.

Because ppl are mean

People don't understand that lizards can hear human speech. Even smart enough to understand some simple phrases like come and get it guys, usually means food or treats.

Even wild fence lizards come running when they trust you won't harm or grab them, feed them by hand.

paticularly when you have just one pet the pet is reliant on you for company and attention no matter what sort of pet it is.

• Will

Because lizards that are common pets are not domesticated like the domesticated cat and dog are. Cats and dogs acknowledge us and have evolved to respond to us. Cats, not so much, but dogs understand us for everything ranging from being pointed at, to the tone of our voice, and emotional responses we are experiencing.

There is no lizard out there that understands humans because no lizard has ever been domesticated and experienced co-evolution with humans. Talking to a lizard is like talking to a fish or tarantula.

Beats me. I talk to my bearded dragon all the time. He responds. I don't call that mentally ill at all.

People think reptiles are cold, unfeeling, just there, really. I don't. They all have such distinct personalities that only a reptile-owner would know. I have 3 snakes, and have had lizards in the past. My bearded dragon Bowie was a hoot. He was such a little brat, but so sweet at the same time. He had a routine when I let him out: bite my toes (gently, not crazy hard to draw blood), kiss my feet, climb up my body, snuggle in between my boobs, get all comfy, one kiss on the chest, and just rest his little head. I would say "Who's mama's big boy?" and he would look up and blink at me and kiss me again. Then he would fly out of my shirt and go knock over DVD's, like he was pretending to be Godzilla. 

Also, when I was sad, and how this little thing knew, I'll never know, but I would take him out and he would insist on just chilling on my head and nipping my ears to make me laugh. My husband would try to pry him off and he wouldn't budge. I miss that little monster. It's normal. You love reptiles. So do I. And people that have never had them do not understand just how sweet and interactive these wonderful beings can be. 

That's so adorable haha. I think it's just because keeping lizards as pets are not as common as cats and dogs. People keep cats and dogs, or other common pets as comforting animal companions so it seems "normal" to talk to them. And since lizards aren't a common animal companion, I guess people think it's weird when you talk to it? I personally don't think it's weird. Why would it be anyway? It's your pet. You're definitely not mentally ill or weird for doing that so no worries.

I had a friend who kept a lobster and talks to it. Nobody thought it was weird, in fact people thought it was cool lol. No one really cared about anything else other than that the fact he had a lobster tbh. But yeah lobsters aren't common either.