I am going to college to become an electrical engineer, but I was wondering if the school name matters?

As a Colorado resident, the school choices I was offered was between U of Colorado Boulder or Colorado School of Mines. I could not go with Virginia Tech due to costs as an out of state student. The problem I keep asking myself is the school name. Even though Boulder is ranked #27 in Best Engineering Schools according to US World and News it is still not MIT. The undergraduate programs at Boulder are the best in the state, but when compared to the University of California campuses, Boulder is still behind Berkeley and UCLA in the ranking scheme.

I wonder if the school name carries a lot of weight especially for employment prospects. Is this obsession over going to the "better" school unnatural?

• MS

It's more about what you do with yourself in school and making the most of your opportunities.  The school name CAN help you get a job (especially your first job), but your transcript, letters of recommendation, internship and research experiences, etc are what are really going to determine your outcomes.

For the first job after graduation, the name of the school means a lot.  From then on, not so much.  You can roughly tell which schools are the most desirable by their admissions rate.  The really top tier universities accept roughly ten percent or less of the applicants each year.  The next tier is about 20 percent or less accepted.

MIT for example is abut 7% acceptance.  "MIT admissions is extremely selective with an acceptance rate of 7%. Students that get into MIT have an average SAT score between 1500-1570 or an average ACT score of 34-36. The regular admissions application deadline for MIT is January 1.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Admissions - Niche"

CO Boulder is almost 80% accepted.  "79.8%

2018 University of Colorado--Boulder admissions is more selective with an acceptance rate of 82%. Half the applicants admitted to University of Colorado--Boulder have an SAT score between 1150 and 1360 or an ACT score of 25 and 30.  University of Colorado--Boulder - Profile, Rankings and Data ..."

• John

"Is this obsession over going to the "better" school unnatural?"  Frankly, your behavior on this forum makes me think you are just craving attention.  Part of that *may* be that you want to continuously brag about the schools to which you have been admitted.  More likely, however, you are not a student at all, and are trying to make up for your perceived life failings by claiming false accomplishments.  

No, school name does not matter, especially for undergrad.  Go where you can get a good education with the least cost. You do not want debt.

After the first job experience your school doesn't really matter.  In a fairly short time where you went to school doesn't even come up.

If you are qualified to get a full ride to one of the top schools then of course go there because it will be free.