Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

How does my voice leading look?

I'm pretty rusty when it comes to voice leading. The requirements for this assignment were:

"Provide a 4-voice harmonization of the following melody using European common-practice voice-leading procedures. Supply a complete Roman-numeral harmonic analysis for it (this function is found under "text" at the top of the page).

You must include at least:

a. One secondary leading-tone fully-diminished seventh chord

b. One augmented sixth chord, and

c. One Neapolitan chord."

How did I do? Are there any areas I should improve upon?

I am a retired theory teacher.  This is a hot mess.  I certainly am not going to write out an entire solution for you - you need to learn it yourself - but I would advise you starting with the last 2 measure first - write a good cadence. That half note on beats 2 and 3 in the soprano, suspended or common-tone in the next-to-last bar, implies that a chord will change while that note is held- common to both.  and you wrote that low c in the last measure, bass part, to avoid a parallel approach to a fifth - but that is not he best solution, if you re-write the entire cadence.  If the b natural in the soprano, followed by a Bb, sounds and look odd - well there is a perfect place to consider the b natural the end of a half-phrase - and the Bb as part of a movement to the downbeat of the next to last bar. IN c minor, you will need a Db to generate a Neapolitan, either the one given, or one that i added to an F and Ab to make the N6 - with the F in the bass, or course. That first one comes mighty early - you have not even had to time establish  the key!  Not the greatest example - WAAAAY too short - to cram in the requirements you have been given.When this is all over, I would love to see the instructor's solution, given the cramped example he gave you!