Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicCountry · 2 months ago

Why isn’t country music as good as it used to be ?

I listen to a lot of Johnny cash, Willie nelson, Toby Keith, Waylon Jennings and others then I listen to more modern country singers like Taylor swift, Kenny Chesney and Luke Bryan but to name a few and I notice these singers are nowhere near as good as the old singers, is it just me Or does modern country suck ?

It's all a matter of opinion.

Part of it's the environment that the newer artists grew up with. I wouldn't say that the singers aren't as good, as what they used to be. A major part of this lies within the recording agencies themselves. They have decided on the sound that they want. Then when they sign a new artist, they have little hooks in the contract, that more or less obligates the artists to record the songs, in a manner of the studio's choosing as to how it sounds. The artists may get to select whatever songs they want, but the producer can still tell them, that they need to adjust the beat.

However not all who are classed as Country singers now, has the voice that's best suited for Country music. Taylor Swift is an example of that. Her voice is best suited for pop or soft Rock. I agree that there are plenty of good artists out there with the two previous answers. But to find them, you need to get away from mainstream radio, and look for artists who have control over not only the songs they record, but also how the song sounds once it's finished production.

Why is`nt anything as good as it used to be?

• Kathy

Singers sing country music differently than what they sang decades ago.

Ramblin' Man has a good list.

Let me add Erin Enderlin, Kelsey Waldon and Brandy Clark to that list.

As a style, country music changes over the year, from Roy Acuff to Merle Travis to more modern artists.

You might want to listen to Amanda Shires, Lilli Hiatt, Vicki Vann, Kia Kater.

Real country is still around but you have to search for it, try these artists below.

James Carothers, Charley Crockett, Kelsey Waldon, Luke Bell, Dale Watson, Margo Price, Jamie Lin Wilson, Nikki Lane, Sarah Shook, Whitey Morgan, Hellbound Glory, Lindi Ortega, Jessi Alexander, Chelsea Lovitt, Sierra Ferrel, Rebecca Jed, Hannah Juanita, Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers, Cody Jinks, Little Lisa Dixie, Elizabeth Cook, Dillon Carmichael, Pistol Annies, Brandy Clark, Hailey Whitters, Chelle Rose, George Goss, Dallas Moore, The Cactus Blossoms, Dori Freeman, Kasey Chambers, Bob Wayne, The Highwomen, Joey Allcorn, Hank III & so on.

You’re right.  They don’t make them like they did in the past.